any catskill trail runners still living?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I can't walk on these rocks without twisting my ankle, yet people came running by me this weekend? I hope you all have good health insurance becouse you are going to need it :D

With time your footwork will get better and your ankles will get stronger. When I first started doing some serious trail running I would "tweak" my ankle every other run but after a month or so of that I could roll my ankle completely onto it's side with no repercussions.

But footwork is the important part of the equation. Now that my footwork has improved and my coordination has been honed I rarely "tweak" my ankle at all. One of my favorite runs (weekly) is to run down Peekamoose (and speed hike/ jog up it) which is a fairly rocky trail. I can run almost the whole stretch from the summit to the parking lot without stopping. As a matter of fact I ran down it yesterday and had a great time... cruising down the ~3.4mi/3000' or so from the summit to the parking lot is a blast! :D

I envy you your youthful connective tissue. Years ago, we'd often speed hike the ascents and run the drops.
Running uphill probably does nothing but improve your strength and fitness. Only time will tell whether the pounding on your knee and hip joints from the extra load of running downhill will take a toll as you age.
I mention all of this as time and mileage have taken their toll on my knees and I'd hate to see others experience the same thing. Bon chance. ;)

Peakbagr said:
I envy you your youthful connective tissue. Years ago, we'd often speed hike the ascents and run the drops.
Running uphill probably does nothing but improve your strength and fitness. Only time will tell whether the pounding on your knee and hip joints from the extra load of running downhill will take a toll as you age.
I mention all of this as time and mileage have taken their toll on my knees and I'd hate to see others experience the same thing. Bon chance. ;)

That's one thing I've been trying to be careful about. I rarely run down anything that I think will be too much on my knees... when I run down Peekamoose (I probably only run down it less then half the time) I try to let my quads and other muscles bear the brunt of the work. To date I've never felt anything in my knees after one of my downhill runs but I've definitely felt my knees aching after hiking in the Adirondacks. For me it's the jarring motion that occurs when you have to jump down from an object that affects my knees whereas much of Peekamoose is a slope instead of steps.