Anybody owns a SPOT?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzanne

Reaction score
I often hike alone and my family is putting a lot of pressure for me to carry some sort of telephone or device in case of emergency. I don't even own a cellular phone, which I am told they don't always work in the mountains anyway. Found this new product in Backpacking magazine and wounder if any of you know anything about it or if you have any other suggestions?

http://international.findmespot.com/

thanks

Suzanne

I don't know much about SPOT personally. I have heard that they don't always work under cloud cover, and that they rely on the same technology as cell phones. I'm not sure if that's true or not, I'm sure others will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

You could look into a personal locator beacon (PLB). They are much more expensive, but there's no annual fee you need to pay. They supposedly work under almost any conditions. In an emergency, you extend the antennae, push the button, and within two minutes SAR gets your pinpointed signal and personal info. I carry one on every hike, especially since I hike with a young child most of the time. Of course, I hope never to use it.

Suzanne said:
I often hike alone and my family is putting a lot of pressure for me to carry some sort of telephone or device in case of emergency.
Forget the cell phone in most areas if in the backcountry. SPOT communicates directly with satellites, not cell phone towers. REI has a number of reviews, some love it, others find it hasn't met expectations. Other reviews read similarly.

There's a new canoe race in the Yukon next year, the Yukon 1000. Rules require the use of SPOT as mandatory equipment to verify to the race officials in real time that we stop to rest and remain in the same location for no less than 6 hours each night - you can bet most crews will be timing their 6 hour stationary duration to the exact second. There's a potential huge trust and fairness problem if occasionally it takes several minutes (some say 20 minutes or more) for the message to transmit your geolocation at the designated mandatory stop/start time each day. SPOT will also serve as an emergency signal device, as there will be no safety boats or checkpoints along the 1000 mile course. I'm planning to enter the race, so I'll have to purchase a SPOT sometime in the next few months. We'll have to see how well it works and if the race committee accepts transmission delays.

Last edited:
Suzanne -

I don't own one personally, nor know anyone who does. However, I do know of some hikers/backpackers who use them regularly in the Sierra. If you poke around the Whitney Portal Store Message Board and do some searches, I think you'll get a better sense of how they work in 'real world' environment. I don't know whether east coast vs. west coast will have an impact upon reception as I don't know the location of satellite(s) transmitters. The search function on the WPSMB is a bit goofy - make sure you notice the date range function and open it up to a year or more in order to get some hits. And, look for postings by Richard P.

I do recall reading that on occasion there is a delay of some hours in transmission of msgs.

If you're looking for a foolproof, more immediate response unit, then look at the PLB's as Trish suggests. That brings up a whole other set of issues - do a search here, and you may find threads on some fellow who used a PLB twice in the ADKs.

Last edited:
I think Zer0-G has one, there are some reports of his trials on adkhighpeaks.com's forums I think in the general hiking section or certainly you can search it if he doesn't chime in here..

Jay

I know the feeling when family has concerns. Mine don't want me featured on the evening news by getting lost or injured.

Those beacons can be real pricey, around $500 ??

I do carry a cell phone though and call the folks when I return safe. Doing my part appease those concerned.

DaveG

I co-own a SPOT with 1Happyhiker- when Spot works it is a very useful tool. The problem is Spot is not always reliable in connecting with satellites and reliably sending messages, even when the unit indicates it has done so. Fortunately, neither of us have needed to send a call for help, but the same inconsistency applies to all reception and transmission functions. My GPS always gets a signal but not SPOT.

It has been reported that the chip set it uses is an older one and that it uses the same antenna for both reception and transmission which decreases its overall functionality.

Having used it for almost a year (1Happyhiker has used it extensively) I am not sure I would buy one now. Since it is relatively inexpensive, it may be worth the investment anyway. Since REI has the following policy: “Every item you purchase at REI is 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Whether you made your purchase online, by mail or in an REI store, you may return or exchange it by mail or at any of our retail locations.” it might be worth your while to try one out!!

Agree

zman said:
. . . when Spot works it is a very useful tool. The problem is Spot is not always reliable in connecting with satellites and reliably sending messages, even when the unit indicates it has done so. My GPS always gets a signal but not SPOT.
I certainly agree with everything Z-man said. And, if you've not already done so, you might check out the link below for a review written about SPOT in GPS Magazine. This review is well-written and pretty well sums up the experience Zman & I have had with this device.
SPOT Review

You help me decide!

Thank you all for this great info. Lots a reviews and interesting articles. As most of you have suggested, I believe I'll be better getting one. Hope I'll never have to use the 911 button... but the OK feature will be good to comfort the family back home!

Again, many thanks

Suzanne

After looking into the pros and cons of SPOT last year, I came to the conclusion that a PLB might be more cost effective. At $120 per year to keep SPOT activated, in approx 4yrs time, I would have a reliable device, as in PLB, with no monthly fees.
I would be a little miffed if I was sitting in the bushes with a broken leg, or worse, had paid all the money, and had no signal. :eek:
I sometimes ponder all the $$$$$ I spend on gortex, fleece,boots, etc. etc. etc., yet hesitate to purchase something that could ultimately save my life. I think I desperately want to believe that nothing will ever happen, yet I know better.
Maybe this year with the REI dividend, now that I have my GPS.
Just my 2 cents! :)

BlackBuffalo said:
Those beacons can be real pricey, around $500 ??

Yes, they are pricey. However, SPOT requires an annual fee of over $100, or something like that. So in a few years, it probably works out even. And PLBs are much more reliable. In an emergency, I want SAR to get my signal within a few minutes....not perhaps within several hours.