anyone own Kahtoola MTN Step-In Snowshoes ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned the predecessor to these - the Kahtoola FlightDeck TS - for about two winters now. It's a great feature to be able to pop the snowshoe frames off and on as needed, and so far I haven't had any issues with wear on the posts. Flotation is OK, too, though the 24" was the only size available at the time I purchased them - I'd certainly go with the longer size next time.

The crampon part of the shoe provides decent traction, though I still prefer microspikes as they cover the whole foot, while the FlightDeck crampon is mostly on the toe. I generally find that I still keep the snowshoe on for most of the hike, taking it off only on the summit where it is easier to walk around with just the crampon part. It is really easy to snap these on and off, hanging the snowshoe bits from the back of my backpack when not in use.

The MTN version looks a bit more aggressive! Looking at that link, I'd certainly consider upgrading to that version when the time comes.