Anyone planning a winter Katahdin trip?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawn Sale

Reaction score
Nobleboro, Maine Avatar: Even my shadow hikes!
I would like to climb Katahdin this winter, but do not have a group I can go with, so I'd like to find one.

I have my own gear, am not a novice to winter hiking or camping, but do not consider myself an expert. Even though I do technical ice climb, I am looking for more of just a hike and would prefer not to haul in all the technical gear. My schedule is pretty flexible at this point, there is enough notice to put in for the time off. I hike at a moderate pace but will conform to whatever the group is doing.

While I have never been in winter, I have been up Katahdin 8 times. My avatar was taken from the top after the 100 mile wildernesss this summer.

Last edited:
me too!

I just had my hopes raised and dashed about doing Katahdin as a day hike. Someone told me that they're letting people start from Abol Bridge and go for K and get out of the park at the end of the day. I heard that this is new this year. I would also be willing to do it as an overnight.
Anyway, the people I know who invited me aren't going on a day I can do it. So if your group needs or wants one more person, please let me know. I can't do it on Saturday, but have Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays off.
I'm 52 and not in athletic shape, but am in pretty good shape. So far this winter, I've done 11 4k's in Maine and 7 in the Adirondacks. I'm not a technical ice climber.
After doing those 11 Mainers, the W115 started looking possible. The 3 peaks in Baxter and the Presis in NH are the biggest challenges left. Currently, I'm 75/115W

BSP has been allowing day trips up Baxter Peak from Abol Bridge for a few winters now, but you must still carry a rope and wear a hard hat above treeline. I do not see how they could prevent you from continuing over to Hamlin once you are above treeline, but they definitely want you back down by evening, so you would need to move fast. You still need to make a reservation in advance, but can do so for multiple dates as no $ is involved. However, you still must relay lots of information on names, group size, vehicle registration, etc.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
BSP has been allowing day trips up Baxter Peak from Abol Bridge for a few winters now, but you must still carry a rope and wear a hard hat above treeline. I do not see how they could prevent you from continuing over to Hamlin once you are above treeline, but they definitely want you back down by evening, so you would need to move fast. You still need to make a reservation in advance, but can do so for multiple dates as no $ is involved. However, you still must relay lots of information on names, group size, vehicle registration, etc.

And the registration procedure requires registration 10 business days before the day of the climb, making it a logistical process.

This is shown on their website, though not easy to find - look under winter camping eventhough it is not camping.

MarkL said:
After doing those 11 Mainers, the W115 started looking possible. The 3 peaks in Baxter and the Presis in NH are the biggest challenges left. Currently, I'm 75/115W
The Presis are reasonable solo peaks if (persuant to another thread here) you use the fact that you don't have to coordinate with anybody to go only in wonderful weather.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
BSP has been allowing day trips up Baxter Peak from Abol Bridge for a few winters now, but you must still carry a rope and wear a hard hat above treeline.
"Sam" whose account of Hamlin is on ME's website did Baxter as a day hike and wrote it up.

I don't know if wearing a helmet is worse than carrying 100 bamboo stakes with flags which they used to require.

It also depends on whether you want the peak to "count" or just want to go there. It is possible to hire rides to/from the trailhead on a Snowcat or snowmobile which would make the actual hike much shorter.