Anyone tried this style boot?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only 30% recycled rubber in the sole means 70% new rubber. Sounds like 70% marketing fluff to me. The liner is "recycled material": old coke bottles?

I suppose if enough people by them there will be a few less old tires in our landfills. If they are comfortable for you, why not?

By the way: what does "organic" mean in regards to clothing? To the organic chemist it means compounds composed of carbon. Your car tires, and polyester fleece jacket fall into this catagory. The natural rubber in a tire is derived from a Malaysian rubber tree and could technically have an "organically" grown certification. But why? Polyester is an organic compound derived from petroleum and cannot have an organically grown certification.

Last edited:
Paradox said:
Only 30% recycled rubber in the sole means 70% new rubber. Sounds like 70% marketing fluff to me. The liner is "recycled material": old coke bottles?

I suppose if enough people by them there will be a few less old tires in our landfills. If they are comfortable for you, why not?

By the way: what does "organic" mean in regards to clothing? To the organic chemist it means compounds composed of carbon. Your car tires, and polyester fleece jacket fall into this catagory. The natural rubber in a tire is derived from a Malaysian rubber tree and could technically have an "organically" grown certification. But why? Polyester is an organic compound derived from petroleum and cannot have an organically grown certification.
I believe in this instance the "organic" label is applied to the leather or the material used for the lining, not the rubber soul.

Brian

Paradox said:

I was looking in the catalog and it syas the following:
Lining: 70% recyled PET
Upper:100% recycled cotton
Linings made of recyled material from soda bottles (what ?)
I'm wondering how well any organic/recycled boot would hold up under a good pounding. I mean, are they cool to wear on the street, or would they realy be practical on the trail?

recycled PET = recycled polyethylene terethalate = old coke bottles

Yep, Timberline is looking for the niche market of those looking for something that sounds environmentally friendly. Nothing really wrong with that... the sole is 30% more environmentally friendly than my Vibram(TM) soles. I assume Timberline is building a shoe and marketing it to the back-to-nature consumer rather than wears-forever consumer.

NewHampshire said:
I believe in this instance the "organic" label is applied to the leather or the material used for the lining, not the rubber soul.

Brian
I can understand why a consumer might not want to consume hormonally fed organic beef. Over the course af a lifetime it might have an effect on the overall health of certain individuals. But, I have a difficult time believing it would have any effect on shoes made from the leather of organically raised beef.

Paradox said:
I can understand why a consumer might not want to consume hormonally fed organic beef. Over the course af a lifetime it might have an effect on the overall health of certain individuals. But, I have a difficult time believing it would have any effect on shoes made from the leather of organically raised beef.

Oh, trust me, I agree completely this is probably more "marketing hype" than practicality. I truely doubt the "organic" lifestyle of the cow before being turned to leather will likely make much of a differnce. My guess is that they are hoping more people will buy the product on principle rather than some un-implied performance increase. But in this case I am willing to cut them some slack. They are a local company that appear to be falling on some hard times as they recently announced they need to cut some 1200 jobs (I THINK it was that many.) Guess they can't compete with the Chinese junk anymore :( .

Brian

Paradox said:
recycled PET = recycled polyethylene terethalate = old coke bottles

Yep, Timberline is looking for the niche market of those looking for something that sounds environmentally friendly. Nothing really wrong with that... the sole is 30% more environmentally friendly than my Vibram(TM) soles. I assume Timberline is building a shoe and marketing it to the back-to-nature consumer rather than wears-forever consumer.

Thanks Paradox, I had no idea what PET stood for, they didn't explain it in the catalog. It is an interesting angle they are taking. I hope it pays off.

If you look online, you can find recycled PET that is made into fleece and some makers are now selling jackets, blankets, hats, etc. made from recycled soda bottles.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's similar idea but different vein to Garmont's Vegan boots.

Last edited:
Hmmm, maybe I missed something on the Timberland site but I did not see any references to 100% cotton ( I did catch the note about it being in the catalog.) nor that they advertised any of these 4 models of boots as 'hiking boots'. I did see a note about 'organic': "Canvas panel crafted with organic cotton which is grown on certified organic fields without pesticides, artificial fertilizers and herbicides, just as strong as conventional cotton canvas but with less impact to the environment".

Looking at the style of the boots and Timberland's overall sales model, these appear to be outdoor urban boots and not hiking boots.

JohnL

JohnL said:
Hmmm, maybe I missed something on the Timberland site but I did not see any references to 100% cotton ( I did catch the note about it being in the catalog.) nor that they advertised any of these 4 models of boots as 'hiking boots'. I did see a note about 'organic': "Canvas panel crafted with organic cotton which is grown on certified organic fields without pesticides, artificial fertilizers and herbicides, just as strong as conventional cotton canvas but with less impact to the environment".

Looking at the style of the boots and Timberland's overall sales model, these appear to be outdoor urban boots and not hiking boots.

JohnL

After the comments thus far and re-evaluating the catalog I have to agree with you. They are probably great for (but awfully expensive)for the streets. I just can't imagine they would stand up too well to the rigors of the trail. Its a neat and concious idea though, so maybe in a few years something more sturdy will come along.

Paradox said:

I can't imagine it would make for better boots, either, but it will make a better, more profitable market for people raising organic livestock by creating more demand for the hides.