Approach shoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer Editor

Reaction score
I recently saw an article in the NY Times on approach shoes. They gave one-paragraph "reviews" of five makes. They're pretty pricey, $75 to $100. But they sound like they'd be ideal for slides. Has anyone tried them on the steeper slides, such as Eagle? How do they compare with rock shoes? With hiking boots? Any particular brands recommended?

I have used the Montrail CTC a lot later. From trail running to scrambling up the 6 Husbands trail on Jefferson, I have been very happy with the performance. It is a shoe that is sometimes described as an approach shoe, and by others as a trail running shoe. It has a stickier sole on it with a low-impact tread which provides greater surface area. The sole is wrapped up and around the sides of the upper, like a traditional climbing shoe.

Have only had them for a couple of months, but unless I am going to be hiking in areas I know I will get wet, these are the shoes for me.

Latest posts