argon70 atoms65 or aether 60/70

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freighttrain48

Reaction score
Anyone own these packs and If so tell me what you think I am looking to purchase one of these three and would love some advice and beta. I own an osprey kode 38 and love it!! Its just two small for overnighters unless you go really light. Also its made for winter and ski/ snowboarding so it doesnt carry a lot of weight well.

I have a bit of an Osprey addiction (Atmos 50 & 65, Talon 22 & 33) and I have been very happy with my Atmos 65. I purchased the 65 after using the 50 for a whole winter and being very pleased with it for a heavy winter day pack (or light summer overnight). The 65 carries weight much better than the pack I had before it and it weighs half as much (Lowe Alpine Alpamayo).

My biggest gripe with the pack is the amount of re-curve in the back panel for the air mesh was very pronounced and would make packing and un-packing the backpack very tough. Also the idea of putting a water bladder between the pack and the mesh in that curved cavity isn't reasonable either.

The good news is I have the previous generation Atmos while Nicole has the newest generation where they have largely corrected this issue.

My other complaint (though a nit-pick) is for the hip belt pockets, they have the zippers open front to back so if you get the pull caught on anything while walking forward they will get opened. I never understood why they wouldn't just turn the zippers around.

One caution I would give with the Atmos family is do not over-tighten the load lifters on the shoulders. If you do the frame has a tendency to dig into your shoulders (I have never found more tension in the load lifters to be helpful anyways).

Atmos 50 performed beautifully on my Long Trail thru hike last fall. Osprey makes great stuff.

Only complaint: I prefer bottles when backpacking, easier to refill and purify water. The side pockets were a little tight and hard to reach without taking off the pack. Not a problem if you got a hiking buddy with you, but a small pain if not.

I have the Talon 22 and the Stratos 40 and I agree with TDawg's complaint about water bottle access. I only carry bottles in the winter* (or to fill the bladder from in summer) so access to the bottles isn't a big deal to me. On occasion I am carrying bottles for my kids though and generally it's easier for them to get them out / put them back than it is for me, especially on the smaller, higher-riding Talon 22.

Tim
* and I carry them in cozies hanging from the shoulder straps where they are very much accessible.

Last edited:
Atmos 50 performed beautifully on my Long Trail thru hike last fall. Osprey makes great stuff.

Only complaint: I prefer bottles when backpacking, easier to refill and purify water. The side pockets were a little tight and hard to reach without taking off the pack. Not a problem if you got a hiking buddy with you, but a small pain if not.

Agreed -- side pockets are a bit tight, but all else considered, these are nice packs.

I have the Atmos 50, as well, and can stuff quite a bit into it. My next purchase from Osprey would probably be the Atmos 65 (one of the models that you are currently considering).

Last edited:
thanks for the advice everyone, Looks like the atmos is quite popular. But during my lunch break I shot up to ems and bought an aether 70. I got 25% off so I jumped at it. Im gonna load it up and take it up monadnock tomorrow and I will let everyone know how it did

I have the aether 70 and love it. I've done winter overnights and day trips with it and feel it is a nice size. It's overkill for summer days but is nice for overnights anytime. One advantage of this pack is that the strapping allows for a relatively small load to be carried comfortably. The pack rides well and carries as if it were lighter than it really is.

After years of using a kelty or vaude pack, neither of which I ever had any complaints with, I've found the Osprey to be simply a better designed pack. I would not change a thing with this one. I won't use it again until my next overnight though...

Good luck with it. BTW, I carry bottles for water, either inside or in the side pockets.

I have the aether 70 and love it. I've done winter overnights and day trips with it and feel it is a nice size. It's overkill for summer days but is nice for overnights anytime. One advantage of this pack is that the strapping allows for a relatively small load to be carried comfortably. The pack rides well and carries as if it were lighter than it really is.

After years of using a kelty or vaude pack, neither of which I ever had any complaints with, I've found the Osprey to be simply a better designed pack. I would not change a thing with this one. I won't use it again until my next overnight though...

Good luck with it. BTW, I carry bottles for water, either inside or in the side pockets.

263799_1831291627810_1405955038_31543700_1158918_n.jpg

Raven I am glad I picked it I carried it up firescrew and cardigan with complete overnight gear and it felt awesome compared to strapping stuff all over my smaller pack like when I went to owls head
251004_1775906203209_1405955038_31512038_2403320_n.jpg

much better with the aether 70 :D

Last edited: