Arizona top 100 peaks list?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Spencer(peak_bgr) is out in AZ doing some hiking and caught the southwest hiking bug. He just posed a question to me about hiking in AZ.
Does anyone know where a list of Arizona's highest peaks might be posted, elevations, map quads, locations?
A group of us climbed Humphrey's Peak in 9/05, and maybe a few of us might do some more hiking out there this June.
Be looking for a TR he'll be posting on a nice hike he and Maddi did yesterday.

Thanks,
Alan

Check this out

Arizona's 20/20 Challenge

It's the work of my brother-in-law and others. The forty most challenging hikes - 20 peaks and 20 canyons, using various criteria. It has:
* Twenty hikes that summit mountains between 12,633 ft. and 8,889 ft. high that offer at least 1,000 ft. of elevation gain from trailhead to summit
# Twenty canyon hikes that cut between 1,000 ft. and 4,400 ft. into the adjacent landscape
# Road maps to trailhead
# Topographic maps identifying suggested trails (based on USGS 7.5' topographic maps)
# Oblique 3-D views of mountains and canyons (from USGS digital elevation models)
# Photos of the mountains and canyons
# Pertinent trail information
# Arizona weather and climate information

I have a book called "Arizona's Mountains: A hiking guide to the Grand Canyon State" by Bob and Dotty Martin. The appendix has several lists including the highest hundred excluding peaks on Indian Reservations and then a list of the highest peaks on reservations.

The lists include elevation, peak name, location, range, and quad.

My copy has a 1991 copyright.

Another source for peak lists is the Peakbagger.com Peak List. I did a quick scan and found these. The first of which is a highest 14 summits over 10K feet:

Note: the America's Roof 100 highest lists for each state are of named summits. These will include named "false summits", and will omit unnamed summits which many would consider legitimate summits. Many on their Arizona list are shown as unranked on the 10,000' list above because they do not have sufficient prominence. However, these unranked peaks may be worthwhile hiking destinations.

I did not see a 100 highest for Arizona on Summit Post, but did notice these, the first of which overlaps the 2000' Prominence list above:

As mentioned, the America's Roof lists are somewhat bogus, we finally got them to remove the county high point lists they obtained in the same manner which in some cases were less than 10% accurate.

I would go with Bob Martin's list, the reason he excludes Indian reservations is that they are often closed to the public and he doesn't believe in trespassing. He has climbed something like the 2000 highest of Colorado and I think any list he puts out is likely to be reasonably accurate.

They haven't got to AZ yet, but listsofjohn.com lists _all_ peaks with 300' col for several western states, with online checklist. There are a few errors but as an online list they are fixed when found rather than having to wait for next edition.

Note that a couple of the highest AZ peaks are sometimes off-limits, Mt Agassiz (rare plants) and Mt Graham (rare squirrels)

Last edited:
I wouldn't limit myself to the peaks, there is lots of other interesting stuff there like the canyons and Indian ruins.

You gotta be kiddin'. Who needs any of those stinkin' cacti and javelina in the canyons...Only having a little fun. Arizona has beatiful canyons and non peak destinations. On the other hand, did you notice my board handle (Peakbagr) and Spencer's(Peak_bgr)? ;)

blacklab2020 said:
IF you want to climb mount graham... take the road to the top, there is an observatory there
2 problems with this:

* The observatory is on a minor summit not the highest one

* In exchange for permission to build the observatory in critical habitat, environmentalists got an agreement that the previous trail to the true summit be obliterated and visitors to both the summit and the observatory be regulated. Obs workers need FS permit and visits by tour only according to website.

I have heard varying reports about how thoroughly this is enforced, most longtime AZ peakbaggers saw this coming and got there before the obs was built

Latest posts