As Far as the Eye Can See: Reflections of an Appalachian Trail Hiker

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
I take a bus into the city every day to go to work. In addition to saving on gas this also gives me plenty of time to read. A book I was thinking of getting is As Far as the Eye Can See: Reflections of an Appalachian Trail Hiker by David Brill who hiked the Appalachian in 1979. On the surface the book sounds good. I was wondering if anyone on VFTT has read it and if they'd suggest it? I went on the Barnes and Noble web site but couldn't find any online reviews.

Are there any other similar books (narratives) about hiking that any of you would suggest? I like the idea of reading a hiking narrative as I'm riding into the city.

I havent read it, but intend to start it tonight actually. :)

So far I like the cover... :D ;) :p

But my father says it was pretty good...A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Of all the AT books I've read, the best by far is Model T's "Walking on the Happy Side of Misery." A very funny and true portrayal of the trail. I've read it a few times now, and enjoy it every time I pick it up! Absolutely a great read :) (As an aside, Model T is hiking the AT again this year, and has another book about the trail, although I have not yet read it.)

As for "As Far as the Eye Can See," we have that book too. Brill has a nice if sort of serious writing style. If I recall correctly it's not a chronological story of his time on the trail, but rather thoughts on certain aspects of the trail/hiking broken out into chapters. Interesting and a good read, in my opinion, but very different than say Model T's book or Bill Bryson's.

Happy Reading :)

I also would highly recommend Model T's book. I'll admit I hated the beginning during his "alter-ego" phase but he kind of stopped doing that halfway through and the book became really enjoyable. Another AT book I liked was Ruben's "On the Beaten Path." I liked both of these more than Bryson's book... but I usually find myself in the minority when it comes to opinions on "A Walk in the Woods."

Now if you're interested in Polar adventures, I can give you a ton of recommendations there. I can't seem to get enough of South Pole explorer books for some bizarre reason! :)

- Ivy

Walking With Spring

Another good book, in my opinion, and it is a very quick read, is Earl Schaffer's autobiography Walking With Spring , written after his first thru in 1948. The historical perspective is fun to read about, like the gear, where the trail went, people he met along the way.

Overall a quick and fun read, quite enjoyable, a good summer afternoon book to relax with...
Kevin