Ash borers found in Catskill Forest Preserve

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there purple boxes in the catskills? I've only seen them in the ADKs.. though I haven't been in the catskills in a bit...

jay

Bad news:

http://dailyfreeman.com/articles/2010/08/05/news/doc4c5ab90f20feb597536202.txt

"State inspectors say they have found a well-established infestation of the emerald ash borer in Ulster County, including in lands within the Catskill Park’s Forest Preserve."

Oh my god. This has to be one of the signs of the coming of the Apocalypse. What kind of evil could produce such a.....oh......wait a minute. Emerald ash borers. Sorry, thought it was something else. :D:p

Keith

Scientists describe the onslaught as a 'when' not 'if' event.
I'm so bummed by this and some of the other imported pests. In 20 years the forests will have been transformed in places.

Scientists describe the onslaught as a 'when' not 'if' event.
I'm so bummed by this and some of the other imported pests. In 20 years the forests will have been transformed in places.
It happens/has happened with a number of species, eg the American Chestnut tree. If there is an adaptation which makes the species resistant, it may come back.

Evolution in action.

Doug

Evolution in action.

Really? This is a rather glib understanding of ecology. Of course evolution will continue, but there's no guarantee that it will result in an ecosystem that people find both functional and beautiful.

Really? This is a rather glib understanding of ecology.
Not in my opinion.

There has been a change in the environment of North American Ash trees--the arrival of the ash borer--which may drive the tree to extinction. If the trees can develop resistance (ie evolve) before they become totally extinct, they may survive. If not, then not.

Evolution is all about a species adapting in ways that improve its survival in a potentially changing environment. If it cannot keep up with the changes, it may die out.

Of course evolution will continue, but there's no guarantee that it will result in an ecosystem that people find both functional and beautiful.
Yes evolution will continue, but evolution of a natural species in the natural world has nothing to do with what people find functional and beautiful. It has to do with improving the survivability of the species in the context of its environment. In fact, it is possible that future changes in the environment (perhaps caused by humans) will happen faster than humans can adapt and will cause their extinction. There is evidence that modern humans (Homo sapiens) have already survived at least one such near extinction...

Ref:
"When the Sea Saved Huamnity" by Curtis W. Marean, Scientific American, Aug 2010.
Shortly after Homo sapiens arose, harsh climate conditions nearly extinguished our species. Recent finds suggest that the small population that gave rise to all humans alive today survived by exploiting a unique combination of resources along the southern coast of Africa.
Preview: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=when-the-sea-saved-humanity

Doug

Last edited:
Related Article

Related article (Scroll down a few entries)

"KINGSTON — Area offices of Cornell Cooperative Extension can help property owners identify and manage the emerald ash borer, a destructive invasive beetle species that was first detected in New York in 2009 and whose presence was recently confirmed in Saugerties." ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_ash_borer

Some info....And I don't want to nitpick, but I'm not sure introduced pests fall into the realm of natural evolution
The old semantic debate: "is man part of nature or not". (Please, let us not argue it here...)

From the broader perspective it doesn't matter--a change in the environment is a change in the environment no matter who or what caused it. And each species must adapt to the changes that affect it or die out.

Doug

From the broader perspective it doesn't matter--a change in the environment is a change in the environment no matter who or what caused it. And each species must adapt to the changes that affect it or die out.

Doug

I guess it is the difference of a moose getting hit by a truck or crushed by a falling boulder. Although one is man made and the other is from natural geological processes there is still a dead moose.

Either the earth is hit by a meteor or the human race..the outcome is still the same...mass extinction. Personaly I don't want to be part of the extinction event. We should do everything possible to to help these species that we have harmed. if possible.

Interesting note Sandra L. Anagnostakis of The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station Department of Plant Pathology and Ecology. Has tried creating resistant hybrids of chestnuts. I also hear a few years back that a grove of resistant chestnuts sprung up in the southern appalachins. Hopefully there willb e a seed bank soon.

I guess it is the difference of a moose getting hit by a truck or crushed by a falling boulder. Although one is man made and the other is from natural geological processes there is still a dead moose.
Either way the moose is dead.

If moose ever evolve (or learn and teach their offspring) to avoid falling boulders and/or motor vehicles, they will improve their survival rates (assuming that both falling boulders and motor vehicles continue to exist). Even with the losses due to boulders and motor vehicles the species does appear to be surviving quite well in the current environment of the NE.

Interesting note Sandra L. Anagnostakis of The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station Department of Plant Pathology and Ecology. Has tried creating resistant hybrids of chestnuts. I also hear a few years back that a grove of resistant chestnuts sprung up in the southern appalachins. Hopefully there willb e a seed bank soon.
I have read that a few trees survive and shoots continue to rise from stumps, but generally die from the fungus. And of course, there are also foreign species which are resistant. As you noted, these are being used in the hope of creating a resistant strain of the American chestnut. (Humans are trying to accelerate the process (human-directed evolution), but it might also happen on its own without human help ("natural" evolution). There is some info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestnut_tree.

Doug

Last edited:
Yes but anthropromorphic, aka HUMAN changes, are vastly accelerated when compared to NATURAL, evolutionary changes....hence, ecosystem science aka ecology was born. And its quite theoretical and complex. Broad brush statements nary apply.

. In 20 years the forests will have been transformed in places.

I agree its a sad proposition. Moving from NY to NE, I never see a healthy beech anymore. The Catskills are so unique with thier "single species stands" -- the forest transitions are so remarkable and distinct -- trees to forest communities, not unlike large predators to biosystems, signify a major stress to an overall ecosystem when they are lost.

Last edited:
nice link, Rob. I just read that the first sighting in Monroe County, NY (Rochester) happened recently. Can't remember where I read it. Our property at the lake has at least 50% Ash and we realize that in a few years the area will be much different.

There's always something to watch out for.

Emerald ash borer
Gypsy moth
forest tent caterpillar
eastern tent caterpillar
fall web worm
Beech bark disease
sirex woodwasp
japanese knoweed
spotted knapweed
water chestnut
unfrozencaveman

the list goes on and on. Most just need to run their course which lasts only a few years. However on invasive or disease can weaken a species and help another thrive.

Heck, even the earthworm and the black-eyed suzan are non-native.