AT Harriman to Kent CT 8/27-9/3

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBKDalton

Reaction score
Conditions: thought I would post some notes in case anyone is interested in heading out backpacking on this stretch. It was extremely dry. The trail is in great shape and I can assure you there will be no mud.

The springs at Telephone Pioneers and the Hemlock Spring Campsite are down to a trickle.

The pumps at Shenandoah Campsite, RPH, Morgan Stewert and Ten Mile River are running. So is the faucet at the Dennytown Campsite.

The Harriman shelters are all dry. There is water on the south side of West Mountain climbing up before the spur trail. The pump at Wiley is dry. The spring at the Schaghticoke Mt Campsite is bone dry. I would guess that the spring at Mt. Algo is dry as well, however, Thayer Brook between them is still running.

There are numerous chances on road crossings for water stops at businesses and private homes. Consult your guidebook and take advantage of them all. There is no random water or small streams running on this entire stretch. Carry an extra water bottle or two and be prepared to dry camp if needed.