AT Trek from Rt 25A to Glencliff 5/3/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
There isn't a whole lot to say about my hike last week, except it was the muddiest hike I've ever been on. I was looking for lots of wildflowers...and there were, except the sun wasn't really out, so most were closed. But overall, it was a great (but somewhat tiring hike) where I only saw one person all day (someone with a mtn bike) having all kinda of issues climbing Mt Mist.

On the Atwell Hill trail...red trillium

Picture-004-L.jpg

A nice flat, quiet section of the trail...also one of the few dry spots too..
Picture-005-L.jpg

Now onto the Ore Hill trail..I decided to visit what is left of the shelter...such a shame it burned down.

Picture-022-L.jpg

There was a lone spring beauty next to the shelter remnants.

Picture-027-L.jpg

Near the site of an old mine, there was this pond.
Picture-037-L.jpg

A minute or two later, I heard something VERY large running in my general direction..let me rephrase that...i could also feel it running in my direction! Then it suddenly stopped. Talk about getting my blood pumping!! I assume it was either a moose or bear. I didn't stick around to find out, as I was surrounded by some thick spruce and fir.

The next section of the Ore Hill trail, was covered in literally thousands of flowers. I wish the sun was out because they'd all be open. But I came across some I'd never seen before..dutchman breeches.

Picture-040-L.jpg

Before long, I crossed Rt 25C, and had a late lunch there. Then it was time to head back into the woods on the Wachipauka Pond trail.

There wasn't a lot to see along the way, but the forest was nice and open. There were not as many flowers along this section, at least not till I got closer to the pond. After going past the summit of Mt Mist, the trail dropped a couple hundred feet and then there was a small view down to the pond, which seems to be growing in.

Picture-055-L.jpg

Seeing that sneak a view, made me want a little more..so I decided to head up the steep Webster Slide trail to get the downlook of the pond, and elsewhere.

First, a nice trout lily.

Picture-058-L.jpg

I was huffing and puffing by the time I got to the top, but the view really helped make it all worth while.

Picture-065-L.jpg

Nice view out towards Carr mtn, and its lower section..Rattlesnake
Picture-067-L.jpg

In that stand of conifers on Mt Mist, there might be a rocky outcrop with a nice view. I'm going back there some time.

Picture-077-L.jpg

Nice view from the southwest outlook. I heard barred owls calling here, one was very close to me. When it called, bunches of other owls called off in the distance. Very neat indeed!

Picture-079-L.jpg

cont in a minute

Just a couple more

I worked my way back down to the AT and headed down the short spur path to Wachipauka Pond. It is a nice pond, with great fishing opportunities.

Picture-088-L.jpg

Picture-090-L.jpg

Now it was time to head down to Rt 25. I had hiked this section of trail before in the winter of 2009. It looks a little different now naturally, and there were quite a few flowers blooming here as well, including some of my favorites..bluets.

Picture-094-L.jpg

The trip down took a lot out of me, and I was glad to be back at the trailhead. My vitamin I wore off so my knees were beginning to hurt, but I'm trying to not take as much of it. But of course since I'm writing this, I made it back no problem. :)

Hope you enjoyed the report and pics.

http://grouseking.smugmug.com/New-H...Rt-25/22844618_KXZKSQ#!i=1833741912&k=rG3kPSq

Thanks for posting. I've been interested in this section of trail as it is only a few towns away from me. Looks like it's worth checking out.

Does the DOC plan on rebuilding the shelter and if so, when would that occur??? I was lucky enough to visit and get pictures before it was destroyed...

Nice place to hike, Phil. Great shots, especially the trout lillies; my personal favorite. We missed out several weeks ago on a section we hike regularly where a large section of the forest floor was covered with them. Maybe next year.

Donna:)

In that stand of conifers on Mt Mist, there might be a rocky outcrop with a nice view. I'm going back there some time.
Hi Phil . . . first of all, your report and photos are terrific!
Also, your intuition is correct. There is indeed a nice view from a rocky outcrop in that stand of conifers on Mt. Mist.
Here is one of the vistas that can be seen from that spot.
CIMG6614%2520-%2520Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Phil . . . first of all, your report and photos are terrific!
Also, your intuition is correct. There is indeed a nice view from a rocky outcrop in that stand of conifers on Mt. Mist.
Here is one of the vistas that can be seen from that spot.
CIMG6614%2520-%2520Copy.JPG

I knew it! Do you think this is a view point left best for sticks season, as shown here in your picture? And is it hard bushwhack?

I knew it! Do you think this is a view point left best for sticks season, as shown here in your picture? And is it hard bushwhack?
Phil . . . it's an easy open-woods whack. There are probably many ways to get there. I've done it by leaving the trail about a quarter mile north of the Mt. Mist summit and then whacking about a tenth of mile or so in sort of an ESE direction.
You can get a view at most any time you go there, but maybe "stick season" provides views that are slightly more open, as you might suspect.

Last edited: