Attitash area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverfox

Reaction score
Hello

I have a friend looking to do the Attitash trail to Attitash and Table Mountain..a route I have never been on.. Anyone out there been here lately?

thanks

I haven't been on the Attitash Trail lately, but pending a report from someone who has, I'll note that I took it from Bear Notch Road around Table Mtn. and a little way toward Big Attitash a couple of summers ago, when I had just a few hours free for a hike around there. I had the trail to myself on a sunny Saturday and it was well-marked and easy to follow for as far as I got. (The sketchy parts I've read about must be closer to the middle.) The Table Mtn. ledges give you an interesting view of the Sisters and Chocorua from the near north.

It was several years ago I did that also but I recall it was an abundant wild flower route. :)

have been considering this trip at some point in the near future. steve smith talks about a traverse i think around 2001 or so in "wandering in the white mountains". sounds really lightly, if at all, maintained after table mt. latest amc guide eludes to the same. sounds like a great isolated hike with attention to footway being particularly important. also the trail that some "famous" boston radio guy (whose name i cannot remember) got lost on a number of years back and spent a couple days in the woods drinking his own pee. would probably be a fun traverse through to dianas baths with a car spot.
may go out to big attitash and back sometime this spring and if so will post trail conditions.

bryan

bryan said:
... the trail that some "famous" boston radio guy (whose name i cannot remember) got lost on a number of years back and spent a couple days in the woods drinking his own pee.

That was Ted O'Brien, a famous Boston TV guy before he turned to radio. He went from Diana's Baths. You can read a transcript of a radio interview of Ted, his wife and others about this episode on the link, under "Lost Hiker." Somebody posted a funny Photoshopped picture of the sign for the "Ted O'Brien Trail" here, a year or two ago.