backpack and sleeping bag

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymama

Reaction score
This summer I am going to expand my horizons and try some short backpacking trips in the Adirondacks.

I need a backpack and a summer sleeping bag. (I already have a 0 degree bag.) I don't think I will use the backpack for winter excursions.

What do you have, whats good, and what do you suggest?

I'd look at a really-lightweight down (not poly) sewn-through (no baffles) barrel sleeping bag that zipped all the way down and around the feet (to fold out flat) rated to about 45F. EMS and (I think) NorthFace used to make bags like this, don't know if they still do.

Down is a lot more comfortable than poly over a wider range. You can open it up or even sleep on top of it on hot nights, or wear your fleece and a hat to bed on cooler nights. Some of these bags weigh about a pound-and-a-half and stuff really small, so you can get away with a smaller pack.

As far as down getting wet, I've used it for about 15 of the last 20 years in all kinds of weather and haven't had a wet night yet. I figure if I ever do it won't outweigh (no pun intended) the many saved pound-miles on the trail, and a wet night in the summer is more about discomfort than danger if I have planned right.

I use an EMS 2800LT pack that works well for me.

Last edited:
Hmmm. The question is a bit general- budget, bulk of your gear, will dictate quite a bit, but:

Your winter day hike pack can be sufficient for a summer weekend (or even longer) backpack. I've been using a Dana Sphinx I picked up on close out. 3000 cu, I think when the extension collar is deployed. I have a really basic rucksack at 2000 cu. that I also use.

I recall that you bushwack, you may want to shy away from the ultralight packs- those that use lighter material. I think they'd get shredded off trail in the ADK's.

More important than a particular pack is fit, find a good pack fitter with a decent selection, get one that fits. It really helps to know how bulky your gear is when selecting a pack. I can get by for 4 days with just 2,000 cu but I use a tarp and bivy and down bags. A tent and synthetic bag will increase bulk.

Rather than summer, think three season. In most NE areas, to me, it's only summer during the day. But I'm a downstater.

Depending upon how easily you get cold and your ultralight opinions a bag from 15° to 40° is considered standard. I started using a 15° synthetic, after burning through two of these bags (TNF Cats Meow, BTW) I moved to down- first a campmor 40° semi rectangular ($80) and then a western mountaineering highlight (not $80). Augmenting these with a bivy I'm pretty comfortable in the three season range. I think I've only ever used the bivy for moisture protection, not for warmth.

It helps to have an idea ahead of time as to the synthetic/down argument for the sleeping bag. I've never wetted out a down bag, but I am always paying attention to it. Synthetic bags need less policing in terms of moisture control. I imagine I'll get a synthetic bag at some point again before heading off into a wet season somewhere. There were lots of good bag discussions this past winter especially in terms of brand value.

Last edited:
Packs are very personal, subjective items (at least in terms of fit and comfort). And it's all about fit and comfort!!!! Try on a lot of different packs and note the differences. Personally, I like Gregory packs (I have two - a Gravity and an Electra). I tried the Forester and liked it a lot, then tried the Electra and although the Electra weighed in at a pound heavier than the Forester, I thought it carried the load a lot better. 30 pounds in the Electra felt more like 15!

As for sleeping bags - I have two - an LLBean 0 degree High Camp down bag and a Mountain Hardware Phantom (also down). I LOVE my Phantom - it's a 35 degree bag (although I have used it in temps around 25 and have been plenty warm) and very lightweight - 1 pound 6 ounces. Stuffs into a sack smaller than a football! If it has one drawback it's the zipper - in saving weight, it's only a 1/2 zipper. So far, I've not found that to be a really big problem.

Good luck in your search for new gear - I always find it fun trying new stuff out.

crazymama: good to see that you and I are thinking alike! I was route planning last night and am coming to the realization that a full pack day in the ADK's for me must typically be less than 9 miles.

I have a 20 degree down bag, but I concur with afka_bob re: 45 degree bag. Why carry the extra weight when you don't need it? I'm also looking at a Thermarest short Prolite 3 pad: another lb saved.

For a pack, I have 2 friends who swear by their Mountainsmiths. One has the Auspex, the other the Chimera (3600 cu in women's version of the Auspex). These 2 know what they want, hike long distance (LT/AT) and buy exactly what they want after a lot of research. I tend to need to make more compromi$es ;) I get by with an Alps Mountaineering Nighthawk pack that just outright fits me well (and was a great buy). It is 5500 cu in, a lot larger than most will need, but with the need for a bear canister, probably what I will use for most of my ADK BP trips (can't lose it if it's in the pack). I am trying to trim the weight (but I need to look a lot further than my backpack!). I also have an older Jansport Tatoosh II that I use for overnights/weekends, again: it fits. I'm hoping for this summer that I can trim everything down to under 40 lbs for a 5 day trip (including my betamid/betabug).

Last edited:
In case no one else mentioned it, make sure your pack fits. ;) Seriously, though, there's nothing worse than a pack that doesn't fit.

For a bag, I have an EMS Solstice 25/45. It was a gift, and I was skeptical at first. But the dual rating really does work. Great bag. Synthetic, and just a tad over 2 pounds. Great for the budget shopper!

Crazymama,

I'm with Warren on the sleeping bag. I would look for a 20 F down sleeping bag. A 45 F bag is only going to suffice in perhaps July and August. If you do any camping before or after those months, I really think you'll wish you had a 20 F bag. Additionally, the bulk of the weight in a down bag is in the nylon shell, baffles, etc. used to contain the down. A 45 F bag will usually only weigh a few ounces less than a comparable 20 F bag. Some would argue that a few ounces is very significant, and I would agree with them, but only under certain conditions. If the majority of your Adirondack trips will be setting up base camps, and then doing day hikes from there, I don't think the few ounces is all that significant. On the other hand, if you're going to be carrying you full pack over the Great Range Trail, then those ounces become significnat.

The EMS Mountainlight 20 F bag (725 fill, 2 lb) is a good value at $199, and packs down to the size of a football.

Regarding the pack, I'm with Warren on that one too. Providing your winter pack is in the neighborhood of 3,000 cubic inches, it should suffice for May through September backpacking trips in the Adirondacks. If you decide you want a new pack anyway, I would definitely select a pack under 4 lbs, and even better 3 lbs or less.

I really like the Gregory Z-Pack (2 lb, 14 oz for a small) at $169 for 3-season use. It's a fully featured pack with a nice suspension system, and enough pockets to keep things organized. I'm sure there are other good choices in this category as well, I'm just not as familiar with them.

John

Last edited:
Johnnycakes/Warren: Good Point. If this is to be your only 3 season bag, 20F is more suitable. I'm looking at a 45F as an addition to what I already have (20F Polarguard 3d, same in down, -30F X-Fibre), as much for comfort as for saving a few ounces. If you'll only have one, go 20F, if 2, go 1) 15-20F and 2) 40-45F.

Crazymama...

For packs, I would recommend starting by borrowing or renting. At the very least, borrow so you can attempt to get all your stuff in the pack as you figure out how to pack. This will inform you how much space you need (a personal decision). Having just said its a personal choice, I pontificate a tad.... I would shoot for something in the 4000 ci range. More if you are large (big fleece takes up more room than small fleece) or get cold easily (more clothes). IMO, packs in the 3000 ci range only work if you are a minimalist carrying light gear. I would much rather have all my stuff *inside* a larger pack instead of dangling off the outside of a small pack. I also prefer to carry a load with a larger pack with a sturdy suspension than a smaller pack whose suspension gets overwhelmed.

My thoughts on sleeping bags are here:
http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/SleepingBags.txt

Last comment: The best way to enjoy yourself is to carry less stuff.

Thanks y'all...

I've printed out your suggestions, and am going to take a closer look at the equipment suggested. I appreciate the comments on down vs. synthetic bags. I was always afraid to go with down, because of the moisture issue, but now I think I will seriously consider it. I didn't realize you could compress a sleeping bag as small as a football...awesome.

The discussions on temperature ratings, weight, and pack volume were food for thought. I think I need to be more attentive to weight than I have been in the past.

Yes...I will go try on packs and look for the perfect fit.

Thanks for letting me benefit from your combined years of equipment experience...

CM

Campmor

I bought a Campmor 45 deg downlight last year, and it is fantastic. Football? Try softball. Weighs just about a pound. I bought it for summer use camping, and for travel. It goes with me everywhere. It is a rectangular bag as they are more comfortable for me. They may have a similar mummy.

Less than $100 bucks. I think i saw it for $69. Great summer bag. Put it around your 20 deg 3 season, and you should be good for almost any weather.

RVT

Go with the 20 degree down. I bought a North Face Blue Kazoo about 15 years ago (20 deg. down) and I am still using it. I have never had a problem with it getting wet. It's gotten a little damp a couple of times after several consecutive nights in the rain, but not enough to worry about. First sunny day just hang it in the breeze for a couple of hours and you are all set. I used to use this bag from March until November, but these days it's morle like April till October. The down in this bag is just starting to compress... I think it is closer to a 30 degree bag now. It's held up to a lot of abuse, both in hiking and bike touring. I have seen similar bags on sale on the net for between $90 & $130, so you'll get your moneys worth out of it.

Regarding packs, I have an Osprey Aether 60 that I love. Similar packs I have carried have come from Lowes, REI & Vaude. It's got a great harness, very comfy to carry, about 3600 ci. I always value comfort over weight, but this weighs in at sub 4 pounds, which still makes it pretty light in my book. Whatever you get, make sure it fits and will support whatever weight load you plan to carry. I have had 35 pounds plus in the Osprey with no noticeable deflection in the harness.

CM- I would look over Wiggy's sleeping bags even though there are some discouraging reports about them. They are 100% guarunteed against loss of loft and zipper failure. Call the 1-800 # and ask to talk to Jerry himself if he doesn't answer the phone. When my NF goes flat, I'll be getting one as I don't trust myself with down. I have talked with people who have had Wiggy's for 15 years and the bags are still going strong.

Hey Ken999,
I'm with you. I'm a huge Wiggy's fan but Jerry has a strong personality that seems to put people off and affect his market share (after an ongoing battle he told Backpacker magazine not to review his products anymore).I think he's a riot myself. You have to read his newsletters (available at wiggys.com methinks) for some classic rants. I own his Ultima Thule -20 bag, his bivy, and even his stainless steel water bottle. Jerry's products are built bombproof and last forever, but you pay for it in weight and bulk. My -20 bag weighs about 5 lbs and doesn't compress like down but performs when wet and is my most comfortable bag to sleep in.

Swamp- Yeah, he's opinionated, I've called there and talked with him...But I don't see anybody else who stands behind their bags like that. I'm a little bent that the NF changed the fill weight of my bag this year (Darkstar) I bought it specifically over the bag you have because I thought the NF would be a warmer bag for the same weight...now the new version of my bag weighs 6 lbs 5 oz. ...I wonder why? Couldn't live up to it's rating? I jumped in too soon and should have looked harder at Wiggys,then called to talk with him...not to mention The Ultima was cheaper! I've recommended Wiggy's to my friends, they bought 'em, love'em...and now I'm jealous :D . One other thing to mention here...Wiggy's are roomier than other bags allowing for layers...a real consideration when looking in the 20 deg. sleeping bag range as I would suspect that it could be easier to get caught off guard around those temps rather than the dead of winter.