backpacker mag

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
Anyone else notice in the last backpacker mag. there is a paragraph on climbing MT.Washington in the winter, where they clearly state that the standard winter route for ascent is"straight up tuckermans ravine" not only is that not the standard route, its rarely climbed in the winter due to instabillity. Lions head winter route is the standard route if anyone didnt already know it. It amazes me a prominate mag like backpacker can blow such basic route info on such a major peak.

If you include the skiers and snowboarders in the totals for all the winter ascents at least as high as the Alpine Garden, it is possible that more climb up some route in Tuckerman Ravine than any other single route.

Doug

I didn't see this - but I think as far as "hiking" goes - which backpacker is getting at - I would argue the lion head winter is the "standard" by far. And if we are getting real technical, most skiers are there in spring - tho not sure on that. could be wrong cuz I don't ski. I think the tucks trail is considered "closed" in winter - then for a short period the summer lion head will be standard and when that gets ava prone - they - reroute it to the lions winter route.

I would even go futher now in saying that the jewell/ammo are becoming the standard hiking route up now that base road is plowed - easier than lion head winter. Lion head winter is rather steep and I think it is actually considered a mountaineering route. Tho not sure I agree with that.

I agree thats bad advice from backpacker.

Last edited:
Backpacker magazine takes readers information and never actually does these hikes. They are asking forum participants to donate their trail routes and GPS info for future recomended hikes. Check this out... http://forums.backpacker.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/812107219/m/5491058211

They once had a feature route going up Doubletop in the Cats without ever mentioning it is on private property. I e-ed em and told em that most people get permission from the care taker, Bill, so BPer sent me a reply saying the Catskill 3500 club site never mentioned getting any contact info. Cheese!

I agree with you giggy. Doug has a point, but ... the snowboarders/skiers don't head for Tucks until after winter officially ends because of the AV danger.

And, despite its longer above treeline exposure, I also agree that Ammo/Jewell will probably become the defacto standard winter route, particularly since including Monroe is no big deal and AV danger is rare. It enjoys a slightly longer day as well with its western exposure.

Last edited:
sierra said:
Anyone else notice in the last backpacker mag. there is a paragraph on climbing MT.Washington in the winter, where they clearly state that the standard winter route for ascent is"straight up tuckermans ravine" not only is that not the standard route, its rarely climbed in the winter due to instabillity. Lions head winter route is the standard route if anyone didnt already know it.
I can't find the paragraph that you are talking about. The closest that I can find is on page 32 of the Oct 2006 issue. Second paragraph under the title "Four Days of Fury". The first paragraph describes the Herr/Batzer winter epic. The second says that you should aquaint yourself with the mtn "in better weather" and describes [poorly] a route up Huntington Ravine (Tr?), Nelson Crag Tr to the summit and down via Tuckerman Ravine Tr and Lions Head Tr. (This route doesn't even enter Tuckerman Ravine.)

"In better weather", of course, doesn't have to be winter. And the ascent route that they describe would be technical in winter.

Is this the reference? Or is it a different one?

And yes, I agree--the standard winter hiking route is Lions Head with Ammo Ravine and Jewel Tr becoming more popular with the easier trailhead access. But if one includes all the winter[ish] ascents to at least the Alpine Garden, the statistics may point elsewhere...

This route description sounds like a half knowledgeable description. I suspect that if we apply strict criteria (eg calendar winter etc) we are judging it by rather different criteria than those used by the author. The fact that the author has described a potentially technical route in a hiking magazine suggests that he may not know much about the mountain or the fact that most skiing is in spring. (Doesn't snow equal winter?)

Doug

Last edited:
Jon Dorne, exe editor of BP posts on here from time to time. I've communicated with him a few times. He seems like a great guy. Why not just e-mail him rather than beat him up behind his back? :confused:

Mt. Washington in the winter

When a small group of us did this in the winter we stayed at Hermit Lakes and went up Lion's Head- which had a steep section but nothing to brag about. For the group-It was a pretty straight forward day-hike.

That same day, a couple of guys plowed up the Tuckerman's route on snow shoes and set off a small slab avalanche. Unfortunately, there was several people who were trailing in their wake and they were caught up in the avalanche- one had to be taken out on a sled, with a broken leg.

For myself- seeing how things played out that day I felt I learned alot about winter travel in the NE. But I would not ever have gotten these kinds of lessons from a book or magazine.

I have found that when hiking in a new area, gathering as much information as possible is a good idea. Those of us on the net are very fortunate, indeed, as there now exits reams of information free for the download- which was not the case when I first started to hike.
When I first started to hike I was a big fan of Backpacker Mag., but I quickly out grew it as a source of information and education. Also, so much great and detailed beta started to become available on sites such as this one. I freguently tell other hikers about great sites such as VFTT, and I try to contribute my 2-cents as well.

Local information (information from locals, that is) can also be invaluable- though all information should be taken with a grain of salt. Usually, when I get to a new area, I will activitly chat up people that I see on the trail. Many people that you meet on the trail are very proud of their back-yard and more then happy to share their knowledge with you.

While, ultimately, I feel that when you publish information in a magazine of the caliber of say Backpacker Magazine, you have an obligation to make sure that the facts are sound- especially when a life may be forfeit otherwise- I also feel that it is incumbent on the reader to do a little research and to gather information from multi-sources. Especially when you are risking so much.
Backpacker is in many ways a very general source of information and should best be used as a jumping off place (in several senses of the word) to do better and more in depth research and not as the last word. I know that it was through reading Backpacker that I got interested in visiting places more remote then the areas in my own "back-yard".

I lost interest in Backpacker when they started segmenting their magazine by "Northeast", "Southwest"... etc. Distributions. I have always wanted to read about other places. If I want to know about the local stuff I will either ask around or explore it for myself.

For a magazine as full of ads as Backpacker, you would think their information would be accurate. All that advertising money should go somwhere... I'll spend my money elsewhere.

-percious

percious said:
I lost interest in Backpacker when they started segmenting their magazine by "Northeast", "Southwest"... etc. Distributions. I have always wanted to read about other places. If I want to know about the local stuff I will either ask around or explore it for myself.

FWIW, the only difference with the regional thing is the useless perforated cards with local hikes. My "Northeast Edition" is still mostly filled with ads and information about National Parks out west.

Hey, it makes great bathroom reading!! :D :D

Last winter I climbed Lions Head and I was the only one on the trail. To change it up, I decended Tucks and had to pass a row of 30 skiers, mtneers and snowboarders. I think the distinction would be that most people that are more familiar with the area climb Lions Head and people who read about it in the mags think that Tucks is the best and most scenic way to go.

When I read the article (before I saw this post) I didn't put any though to Tuckerman's as the standard route. Many because I viewed it as hiking from Pinkham up Tuckerman trail and then (which BP mag left out) going onto Lion's Head. Then again if I was not familiar with the area I would not of known.

When I read Backpacker it is more for the stories of hiking in other areas of the States not for in depth trial info.

Gris said:
Jon Dorne, exe editor of BP posts on here from time to time. I've communicated with him a few times. He seems like a great guy. Why not just e-mail him rather than beat him up behind his back? :confused:
First off, Im not beating him up behind his back, thats is rediculious in itself. I would be glad to let him know this in person but right now I have no idea where he is. Secondly if you run a magazine and give detailed route information its your resposibilty to make sure its correct information period how nice of a guy he quite frankly is not the point here.

I would have to say they just f'ed up and assumed it was since its the "standard" route all other times than winter.

anyone who winter hikes around the whites - knows this. Its pretty well documented everywhere that lions head winter is the standard becuase it avoids most avalanche terrain.

giggy said:
anyone who winter hikes around the whites - knows this. Its pretty well documented everywhere that lions head winter is the standard becuase it avoids most avalanche terrain.
The problem occurs when a newcomer follows the advice that he found in a magazine...

Doug