Backpacker's "America's 10 Most Dangerous Hikes"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got this link this morning. It's an article on what Backpacker calls "America's 10 Most Dangerous Hikes". Not climbs, but hikes. What are the hikes that should've been included ? How many of these have you done ? It looks like they tried to cover different areas of the country.

I got the same email. I've only done two of these hikes, and I was surprised to find them on this list.

Our TR and pictures of Buckskin Gulch. (Buckskin Gulch hiking pictures begins from the 23rd picture).

Our Grand Canyon backpack was not on the Bright Angel trail, but the less used and unmaintained Hermit trail. Here are some pictures. The actual trip begins at about #45, unless you want to sit through a lot of pictures of the Grand Canyon from the rim.:D

TR is here. It certainly can be a dangerous place, and not everything went well on this trip.

The Mt. Washington section seems to focus on hikers' unpreparedness for the conditions, not necessarily the danger of the hike, itself. I'd say that my climb up Mansfield's forehead with a full backpack in the rain was way more dangerous than any winter ascent of Mt. Washington I've done.

Yes, the list is definately more about, generally, the atmospheric risks of the hike vs dangerous hikes ranked in good weather conditions, which is a bit disappointing. Any hike can be dangerous in the wrong conditions. A dangerous good weather hike list would be more interesting. Something like the Half Dome hike would probably still make the list because so many unprepared hikers attempt it.

I've done four on their list: Barr Trail, Mt. Washington, Muir Snowfield and Mist Trail and agree that the concept of the story is to have a wide geographic coverage for their magazine and a headline that attracts attention, while the more subtle message is that there is danger everywhere.

I'll check this out further when I receive my hard copy of Backpacker but I'm hoping that the story gives tips to be safe on each of those hikes.

For example, on Half Dome this summer perhaps a third of the people I saw coming down the cables were facing out and slipping and sliding like crazy rather than backing down in a rapel. And then there were the impatient ones who wanted to push by you, even though you were waiting in line for the folks ahead of you. And those who stepped outside of the cables to get down faster! were lucky not to have met the nasty fate of others who have done that.

I got this link this morning. It's an article on what Backpacker calls "America's 10 Most Dangerous Hikes". Not climbs, but hikes. What are the hikes that should've been included ? How many of these have you done ? It looks like they tried to cover different areas of the country.

I've never hiked Mt Washington Directly, it has always been from the ridge from doing a Pressie Traverse but I have done 3 of them if they aren't talking specific trails.... The Muir Snowfield, the Kalalau Trail in Kauai, and Mt Washington..

The Kalalau trail has some exposure on cliffs facing the Pacific but it's probably as dangerous as Mt Washington is... It's OK so long as the weather is OK and the backpacker is prepared... What's probably worse there than on Mt Washington is that much of the trail is without tree cover and heat stroke is a danger.

Jay

but I'm hoping that the story gives tips to be safe on each of those hikes.

If you click on each trail's link, you can read tips for avoiding disaster on each. I particularly liked the safety advice for Buckskin Canyon (and other slot canyons) in the Southwest (i.e., stay out from July to mid-September!).

If you click on each trail's link, you can read tips for avoiding disaster on each. I particularly liked the safety advice for Buckskin Canyon (and other slot canyons) in the Southwest (i.e., stay out from July to mid-September!).

Agreed. As a hike, Buckskin Canyon is virtually flat, save for one 12-ft. rock wall that one must negotiate. And because it's so enclosed (you feel at times that you're in a cave), the temperatures are quite cool (relatively speaking!). We went in May, one of the typically driest months of the year, and kept an eagle eye on the weather, not only for that area, but for the greater surrounding area as well, right up to the last minute.

sweet. i was looking for a new list. who wants to come to my finish?

This is from the article:

Rescuers had to rappel 800 feet to recover the shattered remains of Japanese hiker Hirofumi Nohara, 37, who cartwheeled 1,200 feet down Half Dome's sheer face into the granite ravine below after trying to squeeze past hikers ahead of him on the cables.

Natural selection for pushy people?

- Tony (P.S. I've done two of the hikes: Washington and Rainier)

The graphic image description of the hiker "cartwheeling" to their death is a good indication the author had little sympathy. Traffic jams stink, but thems the breaks.