Bald Peak / Rocky Peak View Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aesop74

Reaction score
My buddy Dave and I climbed Blueberry Cobble, Mt. Mason, Bald Peak, Rocky Peak and finally Rocky Peak Ridge on 6/10 and we had great views in all directions. I had a question though. From the ledges on Bald Peak there is a group of mountains that looks awesome to the south and there is a very sharp pyramid shaped mountain that we had also seen coming from Lake Placid towards our Rt. 9 Trailhead near New Russia in this view. When looking at Rocky Peak from Bald Peak it is off to the left. I have attached a picture of it that I found online and wanted to find out which ADK peak it is. I love how steep it is towards the top. It is in the middle of the pic. What are the other peaks around it too? Check it out. Thanks in advance.

From memory I agree it's Hough. From there it looks like it would require huffing to get to the top.

That's a great picture!
From L to R what you have captured in your viewfinder are:

East Dix (Grace Peak)
MaComb (In front of MaComb and fairly dark in the pic is South Dix or Carson)
Pough
Hough
The Beckhorn - note the Beckhorn Slide
Dix

Hough's very distinctive profile can also be seen from the Lake Road going into Essex, and briefly from the ferry while crossing to Charlotte, Vermont.

RPR Views

That hike rocked. 4700' vertical feet to Rocky Peak Ridge on the East trail from Route 9. It was wet which made it even harder. 50-70 mph sustained winds on the top of Rocky Peak and the Ridge Summit. We literally had to crawl on our hands and knees over the summit for fear of being blown over by the stronger gusts. It was nuts but a ton of fun.

Well majority says that it's Hough. Hough is a bushwack from Dix correct?

Neil - Thrasher is a great tune.

Last edited:
Aesop74 said:
Hough is a bushwack from Dix correct?
Not at all. There is a well defined trail connecting all of the (5) peaks of the Dix range. These trails are not marked with coloured plastic discs but are easily discerned and followed.

I agree with Aesop regarding Thrasher.

"All of my changes were there."

I'm Helpless.

Last edited: