baldpate

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king tut

Reaction score
I am looking to hike baldpate in grafton notch on friday or saturday, depending on the weather. From a quick glance at my maps, it looks like you park at the same lot off 26 as old speck. Does anyone have any info on the hike? It looks like it is about 2900 vertical and 8 miles roundtrip, from what i see. If anyone is interested, let me know, i will probably do it in about 5 hours timeframe.

king tut said:
I am looking to hike baldpate in grafton notch on friday or saturday, depending on the weather. From a quick glance at my maps, it looks like you park at the same lot off 26 as old speck.

It is the same parking lot as Old Speck, just head the opposite way......enjoy!! :)

Two ideas, assuming you have time and energy for them:

1. Don't miss the continuation on to East Baldpate. Only a bit farther, and it involves a crossing of a neat little bog (look for cottongrass) and some nice ledge scrambling.

2. On the return (or on the way up) take the alternative route through Table Rock, a must-see overlook onto the notch below. It's steep going below Table Rock; you might prefer to do an out-and-back from the main trail rather than descend from Table Rock.

king tut: The Baldpates are an incredible hike. Don't forget to pay the access fee as it is in Grafton Notch State Park, and does share the parking lot with Old Speck. I would head up to Table Rock, take in the view, head up to the AT, stop in at the shelter to hydrate, push to West, then East, and return. I think it is about 8.5 miles RT, but could be off a bit.

Here are some pics from 10/11/2003

Just to make things interesting, you may want to consider the approach from East B Hill road via Frye Brook. The AT used to run thru Frye Brook before a major relocation. Frye Brook is a series of gorges and waterfalls for at least a mile with lots of places to swim. The trail isnt well blazed but the trail bed is very obvious, you basically follow the left side of the brook and eventually slab up the slope to the intersection with the AT.

Baldpate

I did this last weekend when section hiking the AT. Definitely bring lots of water with you, or filter some at the shelter. Awesome views from the top.

Getting to Baldpate from the East B Hill road would be a pain by comparison, at least a 2 hour hike, just to the base, and then the long slow grind up the mountain, in the sun the whole way. I hiked down that way last weekend and am glad I didn't have to go up it.

But instead, Moody mountain got me....

Last edited:
thank you, my coastal friend for the info. I shall head up the mt tomorrow morning, it is one of the last maine mt's on the NE 100 highest list, the only section i will have missed is from there to the Nh border- which hopefully will be a nice weekend hike for me sometime.