Balsam>Haynes>Eagle>Big Indian>Fir

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doodles

Reaction score
Any takers for this trip with a two car shuttle from McKinley Hollow Road to West Branch Road. I can go Saturday or Sunday. I will probably post for other peaks if there are no takers for this trip.

Any information that anyone feels would be helpfull for this trip is always appreciated.

George

That's all! I guess you got tired hiking backwards on the last hike :rolleyes: I'm now in the market for a GPS...have fun...ps why the rush?

No rush coldfeet. This looks like a nice ridge walk. All in line and no backwards walking. I haven't figured out what to do on the other day yet. See how this one works out first.

It's a pretty steep climb up McKinley Hollow, and then the ridge kind of rolls over the peaks. I don't know about the Big Indian/Eagle col, that's one part of that trail I haven't hiked. T-Max and Hike the 115 walked that section a few weeks ago and mentioned that it could use a little maintanence.

I think the biggest concern in the Big Indian Wilderness all winter has been high brook crossings. There's a couple of pretty good ones on the McKinley Hollow Trail early on-I left the trail almost immediately and 'whacked up to Eagle just to avoid them a few weeks back. Now that we've finally had colder and drier weather it might be less of a problem.

You might also consider doing the route in reverse. Then you'd be doing the 'whacking earlier in the day rather than at the end.

Matt

Thanks for the advice Matt.

Certainly makes sense to do the route from Fir to towards Balsam. With the colder weather this week, hopefully the streams will slow down a little. At this point the rest of the week looks rain free and cold.

We need to put this cold weather to work and get some snow. Snowshoes are getting spiderwebs on them.

We parked at Burnham Hollow, whacked up Fir, over to Big Indian and then to the trail. Then we hiked the trail to Eagle and whacked directly down from the summit of Eagle to McKinley Hollow where Matt was parked. This was a great hike and avoided the stream crossings and some extra miles. Actually, I would say the worst part of the hike was the part on the trail! Not that it was bad and it is not difficult, but it is not highly used and could use a little maintenance. It is really more that the bushwhacking was great (if you stick to the ridges). So, you may want to consider spotting cars. There is a lot of private land by Burnham Hollow, but if you cross the bridge from the parking area and just start heading right up Fir you'll be okay. If you need West Kill, you could join Matt and I for our finish on Saturday and then do this one on Sunday.

Also, be very careful to stay on the land bridge between Fir and Big Indian. There are some very steep spots and some side hilling if you don't.

Thanks for the info hikethe115. I may join you and Matt depending which day this trip comes together. If I don't see you, then I'll say congratulations to you and Matt on your winter 35.

Alistair, hope you can make it. Will it help with the Boss if I say "Please can Alistair come out and hike". Anyway, keep in touch. Which ever day is better for you is OK with me. This is my priority hike for this weekend and with clearance from my Boss I would like to fit in some other peaks on the other day.

George