Balsam Mountain 2/24

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmorgan

Reaction score
Long Island, NY Avatar: The REAL Dylan goe
My first winter solo hike in the Catskills. Snowshoes from start to finish. Very cool. Started out at 8:40 a.m. from Rider Hollow Rd trail head. Snow was a foot deep but the trail was already broken out.

When I reached Mine Hollow trail and started up the snow gradually got deeper due to both new snowfall and windblown snow. It was very windy today, 15 to 20 mph with heavier gusts (BTW, it was 6 degrees F at the trail head this morning!). By now I was stripped down to my smartwool base layer shirt, no hat, and light gloves.

When I reached the junction of the Pine Hill-West Branch trail the snow was over a foot deep and the trail was completely filled in by blown snow. Going got very slow here as it was all fine powder and I was sinking a foot and sometime 20" or more with each step. I was also starting to feel the cold and so threw on my light rain jacket with the pit zips open to cut down the chill. I also had to add mittens at this point.

Up at the summit the snow was almost 3 feet deep (over my knees and a couple of spots right to my hips).

I paused for a quick snack at the summit and got going on the rest of my loop. As I crested the summit and started down the other side the trail was freshly broken out. Excellent! On the way down I ran into 2 other gentlemen hikers, locals from Kaaterskill.

They said they saw that I had turned left at Mine Hollow where they turned right. So we were doing the same hike but in opposite directions. After a quick chat we parted ways. It was nice having a broken out trail to follow and the going was very quick. Along the way back to the car I saw someone had set up a tent and was camping out. Brrrrr!

I got back to my car at 2 p.m. and as I was packing it in one of the guys I had crossed paths with arrived at his car. I asked if he had lost someone and he explained that the other person he was hiking with was in his 60's and had just started hiking last year, so he was taking a bit more time coming down.

Out of there at 2:15 and home on Long Island at 5:20 p.m. No stops for gas but my tank is on fumes! Great hike, beautiful day, and my last "winter requirement" for my 3500. Now I can concentrate on the other 20 I still have to do.

Pictures here

Kevin

Nice report Kevin. Sorry that our plans didn't coincide, perhaps another time. I ended up over-indulging on Friday night and over-slept in the morning ...... stayed local and snoeshoed along the Appalachian Trail near our home.

Great photos, btw. Which direction are you looking in Picture #28? I was trying to identify the ridge in the background. How about #30/31/32? Again, I cannot identify the distant peaks.

I had been wondering if the trail would be broken out from Rider Hollow, glad to hear that it was. That's some beautiful forest in there. What is the total mileage for that loop?

Rob

i12climbup said:
Nice report Kevin. Sorry that our plans didn't coincide, perhaps another time. I ended up over-indulging on Friday night and over-slept in the morning ...... stayed local and snoeshoed along the Appalachian Trail near our home.

Great photos, btw. Which direction are you looking in Picture #28? I was trying to identify the ridge in the background. How about #30/31/32? Again, I cannot identify the distant peaks.

I had been wondering if the trail would be broken out from Rider Hollow, glad to hear that it was. That's some beautiful forest in there. What is the total mileage for that loop?

Rob

In 28 I was looking back behind me, so that was probably Belleayre. The others are looking east or from Balsam Summit. So Panther, Garfield, and way back maybe Balsam (a different one) Sherrill, North Dome? and like that?

The loop on the map is 5 miles. I was trying to map it with my gps, but I had it hooked up to an external antenna with the unit inside my pack to preserve the batteries and 1/2 way around (apparently) it dropped down in the pack, pulled out the antenna wire and lost signal. So all I have to go on is the topo.

Kevin

kmorgan said:
In 28 I was looking back behind me, so that was probably Belleayre. The others are looking east or from Balsam Summit. So Panther, Garfield, and way back maybe Balsam (a different one) Sherrill, North Dome? and like that?

The loop on the map is 5 miles. I was trying to map it with my gps, but I had it hooked up to an external antenna with the unit inside my pack to preserve the batteries and 1/2 way around (apparently) it dropped down in the pack, pulled out the antenna wire and lost signal. So all I have to go on is the topo.

Kevin
Garfield? That's some view! :D

Congrats on making it to the top, sounds like a good tough day! :D

Nice TR and pictures. Sounds like you had a good hike. Congratulations on your first solo winter hike. Snowshoe conditions have been great this last two weeks.