Barnes Field / Mt Cabot

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing Cabot Sat or Sunday and its beyond my drive-up,hike,drive-back limit (from RI).
Barns field (mentioned in recent posts) seems like a good spot to truck camp. As far as i can tell its first come first serve and $10 a night. Is that correct?.
Can I expect that it would not be full if i get up there late eavening. Also though i see that its open year round all the maps i download say you have to go on a short section of Dolly Copp Rd and says it is closed in the winter. Is that short section plowed/open. Would also appreciate any alternate suggestions for cheap spartan lodging in the area. I checked the shapleigh bunkhouse but's full Sat & Sun.

I camp there frequently in the winter and its rare that there are more than 2 or 3 other sites taken, even on the weekends. The forest service plows out the campground and even shovels out paths to the latrines.

The road is plowed all the way in to Barnes in a loop and there are parking spaces plowed at each site. There is a self service post at the entrance. Last weekend during Coldfeets event there were only 3 full sites with at least 4 open. Its hit or miss.

An alternative location is Hikers paradise in Gorham at the junction of RT 2 West and RT16 N (be aware there are two intersections of RT 2 and RT 16)its a hikers hostel with rooms and kitchen. Its bare bones accommodation but has heat, plumbing and kitchen. I don't know what their current rate is but give them a call (603) 466-2732. It may be $20 to $25. Its an old apartment furnished with garage sale type furniture. It is closer to Cabot by 15 minutes than Barnes. Coming in from RI I expect you will take 93 to 3 to 115 to Rt2 and drive east. Hiker Paradise is directly across the traffic light in Gorham. It is part of the Colonial Comfort motel. Pinkham B road and most of Dolly Copp Road is closed int he winter so you have to drive around to the RT 16 end of the road which adds 15 to 20 minutes. Don't try to take Pinkham B road in Randolph as its gated in winter.

With regards to Cabot, if you haven't been there be real careful driving through Berlin as the split of Rt 110 from RT16 is easy to miss. First left after Aubuchon Hardware store at the crest of a small hill. If you see Dunkin Donuts you went the right way and that's the last place to buy anything. Second warning is York Pond road in winter gets real slippery and its quite easy to go far faster than you should. Add in random moose and plan to take your time.

Last edited:
Thanks peakbagger, iIwas actually thinking of checking out Hikers Paradise and just called them, its $22 for the hostel and they dont seem to be busy this weekend. Heat , bed, and plumbing for $12 more than Barns sounds good to me. I have done Cabot before and in December so am aware of the icey road but thanks for reminding me. And as I recall if it wasnt for my GPS I would never have found it . You don't happen to know when that D&D opens do you? Im planning an early start Sunady (will drive up Sat eav)

No idea when the D&D opens, much before 6 AM, you are limited to the Irving Station in Gorham or Berlin. D&D may be open at 6 but not much earlier.

Double D's in Berlin is open 24/7 (and of course technically it is on Rt. 110/Rt. 16 jct, will be on the left as you take the left turn at Green Square in Berlin)..peakbagger is correct about the Gorham DD...MickyD's in Gorham slightly down the road from Hiker's Paradise opens at 5 I m pretty sure... one Berlin Irving on Rt. 16 near the Cleveland Bridge is a 24/7 with coffee, pastries etc while the other Berlin Irving (diagonal from DD) opens at 530...have a good hike, trail should be in good shape!!

Latest posts