Baxter 'whack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onestep

Reaction score
mhrsebago, Pig Pen, DMS, & I spent the weekend in Baxter Park bushwhacking 3K peaks. We ended up with the mostly sunny half of a "50% chance of showers" forecast. Good weather, great friends, and seldom visited 3K peaks made for a great weekend!

Friday - mhrsebago & I got an early start from an overcast & cloudy Lewiston ME for our ride up to Baxter. After a breakfast at Dysarts, and a few sprinkles, we reached the park shortly after noon where we where greated with much improved weather. After setting up camp at a Lean-to in Katahdin Stream CG we decided to hike S Turner Mtn, 3122'. We where greated at the summit with in and out of the cloud views of Katahdin and the surrounding peaks. We spent a good deal of time at the summit soaking up the views and scheming bushwhack routes over to N Turner & E Turner.
When we returned to the campground we where greated by Pig Pen & DMS! The gang's all here!! Let the 'whacking begin!!!

Saturday - We all got up early for our much anticipated 'whack of Barren Mtn, 3681'. Those of you familiar with the NE3K's know that this peak has a reputation of being one of the "three most difficult" bushwhacks on the list. We where going to soon find out!
We had considered several possible routes to this peak before settling on a known sucessful route, with a a twist! Our original plan was to attempt the peak from the S via the slide... but out desire for sucess won out over our sense of adventure! This peak has been known to grab a bushwhacker or two and force an unplanned bivy. The slide route would have to wait.
We left Foster Field for OJI via the S Slide trail. We ascended to approx 3000' where we "turned right" to begin our 'whack. The "traditional" route from this point is to descend into the col and then follow an allmost impenetratable ridgeline over to Barren. We've heard stories that this route could be an 18 hour round trip (in total)! We had something else in mind. Without getting into a lot of specifics, we followed the route JimC took that involves dropping down into the Klondike and countouring through mostly open woods before ascending to the summit. We reached the summit of Barren, from the shoulder of OJI, in 2-1/2 hours... just in time for lunch! The views from the top are extraordinary!!
We found the jar without a cover on it, it's contents soaking wet. The log was still readable though. We hung a new jar and included a new log book.
After much celibration at the summit it was time to retrace out steps back to the shoulder of OJI.
After 'whacking back to the Slide trail, we decided to 'leave no stragglers' and headed up to the summit of OJI, 3434'. We enjoyed the view looking back at our route over to Barren. What a day!!

Sunday - On the agenda today is Squaws Bosom, 3026'. This is another seldom visited, trail less 3K peak, is located to the W of Barren Mtn. The route we choose approached this peak from the N. We followed the trail from Nesowadnehunk Campground for a mile of so before begining our bushwhack. This route was a pleasant change of pace from yesterday. Lots of open hardwoods to fern whack through and a never ending highway of animal herd paths to follow! Even though we where feeling a bit sluggish from yesterdays adventure we made good time to the summit. The only challenge we had to deal with was a thick band of spruce (no surprise here) just before the summit.
Again we where greeted at the summit with great VFTT. Fifly feet from this scrubby summit was a nice large open rock ledge where we enjoyed a 270 degree view that ranged from Double Top & Katahdin to our E and wrapped uninterupted around to the upper reaches of Chesuncook Lake and the Allagash to the N. Gawd it feels good to be alive!
We found the jar broken jar with it's unreadable contents soaking wet. We improvised and hung an empty Gatoraid bottle in it's place. If your motivated to do so, replacing this with a standard glass jar would be appreciated.

I would like to thank mhrsebago, Pig Pen, and DMS for their great company! This primarily solo bushwhacker really enjoyed your company! I'd like to also thank JimC for his route suggestions!! A great time was had by all.

Pictures can be seen here.

Onestep

The "new" generation

Kurt, first let me say thanks for the invite! Could not ask for better company than Mark, Kurt and Phil! We lucked out weather wise, it was spectacular up at BSP. We got some great tips from Jim C. for the approaches to these two peaks. It amazes me that I have been lucky enough to have hiked with all the generations of 3ker's, starting with Gene D., Dennis C., John McHugh, Narcisso T., John Swanson, and now the "new" guys. It's been a blast! The trip to Barren was much antipated by me after hearing 25 years of horror stories. In retrospect, it was probably, in fact, the most difficult 3k peak I have ever done. But making a trip into the Klondike was an unusual experience for sure. Actually the summit itself provides fantastic views in all directions, and it has two large open boulders to sit on and relax. There were some nice breezes available to keep the insects at least manageable. We had mosquitos, blackflies, deer flies, cluster flies, midges. They don't get many visitors, so they were very pleased indeed to see us. The last sign in was Eric S. two years ago, he had come in from the east and our times were virtually identical to his, so either way it's a tough wack.
On Sunday we did Squaw's Bosom, I just can't seem to adapt to the name Moose Bosom, until the summit ridge, it was a fairly easy trip, the last .2 mi was dense. Once Again at the summit we were rewarded with an open ledge which provided views of the park and surrounding lakes. I will add another post with pics as soon as webshots allows me to.

Onestep, thanks for the trip report, it sounds like you guys had a very productive weekend. The way you described these 'whacks, you made them sound like they weren't that difficult. Hence, it's a good thing we also have Dennis' account as a reminder that these are far from easy bushwhacks.

Moving on, it seems like you'll have to return again sometime to bag North Turner. Considering what you found on the other summits, I'm sure that canister will have to be replaced too.

Also, when heading off the trail as much as you did, does the park require a backcountry permit or any other notice for what you're doing? Plus, how dense was it when passing from O-J-I into the more "open woods" of the Klondike? How does it compare to what you encountered once you finally turned toward the summit of Barren?

Last edited:
Nate, as far as Barren is concerned, please reread my post, it was the toughest 3k I've ever done, it is the most difficult and challenging one on the list. There is no easy way to do it. My tank was running on pure fumes when I finally stumbled down the OJI Trail at the end of the day.
Pics at http://community.webshots.com/album/551706943zuZZGH

Last edited:
Squaw's Bosom appears to have 2 seperate 3K peaks. Does one of them not meet the clean prominence criteria?

The "east" peak at 3010' used to be the recognized summit until the new map came out showing that the west peak at 3026'. I will check the map, but I don't think there is a 200' col between them.

wickid hahd coah! git back to me if & when ya whack that lil gem on the backside of N. Traveller (Bald Mt.?) across Fowler lake & then i'll kneel & kiss yer ring. THAT sukcer looks knarly.. :D

Backcountry Permit Update

I keep forgetting to post this, but when I was up at Baxter over July Fourth Weekend, I asked one of the rangers if there was any permission or permitting required when going any material distance off the trail. They said that no permit is required, but they said the hiker should note in the trailhead register where they're headed. It would also be appreciated if the hiker checked in with a ranger before heading into the woods, so that the park staff knows what the bushwhacker is doing and has a handle on where to locate him/her if things go awry.