Best way to bag Hunter and Slide in the same day?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dom15931

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Anybody have a suggestion on how to best bag these two 4k Catskills in one day? Looking for not just the shortest route, but ones that are easy on the knees and with decent views.

-Dom

There are lots here on the board who are far more familiar that I with the Catskills, as my only experience is with Hunter & Slide. When I did them I drove down from VT in the morning, climbed one in the afternoon and then drove to the other trailhead and found a place nearby where I slept in my truck. I was on the trail the next day around 7 and on the summit by 8:30. Had I not done the other peak the day before I would have had lots of time to do it.

Are you working on your 115? That's the reason I was there. I was surprised at how remote they felt, and how beautiful there were (it was in September). The remoteness was a bit of an illusion, because with clear skies you can see the skyscrapers in NYC. OTH, you can see the skyscrapers in Montreal from Mansfield on a clear, cold winter day, and most consider Vermont rural (at least if you're away from Burlington).

I would recommend Hunter in the morning and Slide in the afternoon to maximize the direction of light at the views.

The best approach (from a knee perspective) for Hunter is the Spruceton Trail (6.8 miles round trip) on a relatively easy old road trail. There is a nice western view at the Robb lean-to site (burned down from a camping accident). The view from the Hunter fire tower is among the best in the Catskills. The generally accepted high point on Hunter is a step up rock in the southwest corner of the fire tower clearing - near the Spruceton trail. There is an arrow pointing north carved into the rock. The Spruceton Trail approach will enable the shortest driving distance to a Slide Mountain trailhead on CR 47, south of Winnisook Lake. The very end of the Spruceton Valley Road is a little slow going - as the road is narrow and a bit rough.

It does seem that many hikers who climb both Hunter and Slide in one day prefer to climb Hunter via the Becker Hollow Trail. While it is the shortest (5.8 mile round trip), it is also the steepest and hardest descent for knees. Another approach is the Devil's Path trailhead at Notch Lake (7.5 mile round trip). Descending the Devil's Path is a bit easier than Becker, but either will take a toll on your knees. There is a parking fee for the Notch Lake trailhead while the Devil's Tombstone campsite is open (it closes Labor Day). The fee must be paid by stopping at the campground. Finding the ranger might slow you down a bit. All of the other trailheads have free parking year round. Either of the two eastern approaches from Route 214 will enable you to take in an excellent viewpoint over the Spruceton Valley -- it is on an unmarked path opposite the top of the Becker Hollow Trail.

To climb both mountains in a day you will want to do Slide Mt from County Route 47, south of Winnisook Lake. The stream crossing near the start of the hike can be difficult in times of high water, but most of the year it poses no problem. The shortest round trip to the Slide Mt summit is 5.6 miles. There is an excellent northern viewpoint just prior to the summit, and another eastern view (becoming overgrown) just past the summit from a rock ledge bearing the Burroughs Plaque (on the eastern/downhill side). If you have sufficient time, a descent on the Curtis-Ormsbee Trail is recommended. The trail junction is 0.8 miles west of the Slide Mt summit. This will add a mere 1.2 miles to the hike (6.8 miles total round trip), and it is an easier descent for the knees. On this route there are two excellent southern viewpoints on short unmarked side paths.

Kevin Rooney said:
Are you working on your 115? That's the reason I was there.

Yes, I am working on the 115. Interesting that you say they feel 'remote'. Maybe they will be more exiting than I am expecting. That would be cool to see NYC from way up there!

Thanks,

Dom

Mark Schaefer said:
I would recommend Hunter in the morning and Slide in the afternoon to maximize the direction of light at the views.

The best approach (from a knee perspective) for Hunter is the Spruceton Trail (6.8 miles round trip) on a relatively easy old road trail. There is a nice western view at the Robb lean-to site (burned down from a camping accident). The view from the Hunter fire tower is among the best in the Catskills. The generally accepted high point on Hunter is a step up rock in the southwest corner of the fire tower clearing - near the Spruceton trail. There is an arrow pointing north carved into the rock. The Spruceton Trail approach will enable the shortest driving distance to a Slide Mountain trailhead on CR 47, south of Winnisook Lake. The very end of the Spruceton Valley Road is a little slow going - as the road is narrow and a bit rough.

It does seem that many hikers who climb both Hunter and Slide in one day prefer to climb Hunter via the Becker Hollow Trail. While it is the shortest (5.8 mile round trip), it is also the steepest and hardest descent for knees. Another approach is the Devil's Path trailhead at Notch Lake (7.5 mile round trip). Descending the Devil's Path is a bit easier than Becker, but either will take a toll on your knees. There is a parking fee for the Notch Lake trailhead while the Devil's Tombstone campsite is open (it closes Labor Day). The fee must be paid by stopping at the campground. Finding the ranger might slow you down a bit. All of the other trailheads have free parking year round. Either of the two eastern approaches from Route 214 will enable you to take in an excellent viewpoint over the Spruceton Valley -- it is on an unmarked path opposite the top of the Becker Hollow Trail.

To climb both mountains in a day you will want to do Slide Mt from County Route 47, south of Winnisook Lake. The stream crossing near the start of the hike can be difficult in times of high water, but most of the year it poses no problem. The shortest round trip to the Slide Mt summit is 5.6 miles. There is an excellent northern viewpoint just prior to the summit, and another eastern view (becoming overgrown) just past the summit from a rock ledge bearing the Burroughs Plaque (on the eastern/downhill side). If you have sufficient time, a descent on the Curtis-Ormsbee Trail is recommended. The trail junction is 0.8 miles west of the Slide Mt summit. This will add a mere 1.2 miles to the hike (6.8 miles total round trip), and it is an easier descent for the knees. On this route there are two excellent southern viewpoints on short unmarked side paths.

Thanks for the information. I like that you explained various routes and the parking situations, and where the views are at.

Thanks,

Dom

Latest posts