Between a Rock and a Hard Place

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gris

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been posted/brought up, but my son just got me this book for X-mas and I must say it is a RIVETING read. The simple slot canyon twist of fate that caused Aron Ralston to lose his right hand/arm is NOTHING compared to the dozens of other near death experiences he's had. This guy is a certified nut - in addition to being a highly intelligent, fun dude and great writer - and I am sure that most of you much harder mountain core than me folks will enjoy reading about how he extricated himself time after time from numerous precarious postions. I won't reveal anything more. This is simply a GREAT, must read and I am only 2/3 of the way through!

Thank you. This is a timely post because I am ready for a new book. I just finished Tom Eslick's Mountain Peril. This is a murder mystery that takes place in the White Mountains.

Last edited:
Honestly, I was just suprised that he could write that well. I picked this up early last year from B&N, just to kill a few minutes, and ended up sitting down in the store and reading for a half hour. Then I bought it, and was done reading it the next day. Even without the whole accident/media blitz, Aron's led an interesting (and entertaining) life.

Thanks for the book recommendation. Those are always good to come by!

Another book I read recently was Joe Simpson's "This Game of Ghosts." Sounds like it might be similar in that he recounts numerous harrowing escapes from mountaineering.

Thanks!

I'm glad this thread started. I wanted to read this book but it had slipped my mind until now. Next time I'm in Portland, I'll pick up a copy. :D

Artex - don't buy it. I'm gonna finish my copy on the plane ride up to MLK Gathering. Then, you can have it on - the condition you finish it quickly and pass on to the next VFTT person who wants to read and so on and so on.