Big Bend National Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dentonfabrics

Reaction score
Hi,

Reading and writing in that thread about National Parks made me realize how badly I need a vacation. So me and the boys decided on Big Bend National Park. We're going next month.

Can anyone who has been there give me some info on the place? Good dayhikes or paddles would be of great interest but I also would love to hear of a reasonably priced hotel/motel in the area.

And a favor to ask - a longshot, but I may as well try - I cant find a Trails Illustrated map of the property anywhere. No bookstore carries Big Bend (it's one of the least visited parks) and the ship time from Amazon or REI is 4-6 weeks, so if anyone has this map, I'd be very happy to buy it from you. Send me an email on that and we can swap addresses.

thanks,
bob

April is a hot time for birding in Big Bend, if this interests you there are several experts in the Capital Chapter of NH Audubon

Chisos Basin has several days worth of hikes including Emory Peak, highest in the park plus South Rim part of which is closed for falcons

You can also hike canyons near the Rio Grande and various historic sites within the park

I camped so can't help with motels and don't have TI map, but there are several NH AMC types who have been there

I've been there. Loved it. Don't have any true topo maps of the area, though. You can get a decent park map (fairly detailed) from the park office for free.

I second the canyon hikes along the Rio Grande. I tried to slip into Mexico for lunch once - rumor had it they would row across the border to pick you up but I think we tried too late and it was siesta.

There are a few hotels within the park but we took advantage of the free "backcountry" camping. Just had to hike at least 400 yards through the desert scrub brush and camped with the rabbits, deer, javalinas, and all. It was pretty cool! Bring plenty of water, too. It is nice down there this time of year!

Latest posts