Big Slide via Brothers - 10/23/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignslow

Reaction score
Date: Saturday 10/23/2010

Trails: Out & Back via the Brothers

Conditions: Started at around 7, a light dusting of snow all the way to the first ledges. A few inches of snow across the brothers. Once we dropped off the back side of the ridge snow got considerably deeper (6" to 2') but there was a boot packed trench. A mix of snow and mud in the bootpack. A few sections of ice along the way to the junction. From the trail junction to the summit was more snow (1' to 2') and ice. There was never more than a few inches of snow in the boot pack so rocks/logs/roots were still showing in most places.

By the time we descended practically all the snow below the brothers had melted from the sun. Be careful on the brothers as I could see the ledges being treacherous if they were icy and you didn't have traction.

Special Equipment: I would bring some sort of traction (microspikes/stabilicers). Snowshoes didn't seem necessary at the time but if the precipitation continues I would start carrying them