Big time flooding in the Catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yikes. I was afraid this might happen with this system. Still holding onto hope for a hike down that way on Thursday, but when there is flooding in the Catskills, it is usually pretty significant.

If you've ever crossed the bridge in Lexington, let's just say that it's inconceivable to me that the bridge there could be touched by the water!

Stay tuned for more, no doubt!

Holy crap...up to the Lexington bridge?!?
Is the Lexington Hotel still standing? That foundation has seen better days.

Last edited:
Where's Allaben?

Tom, where's Allaben?

According to the USGS, the Espous Creek at Allaben reached 1,390 cfs on January 26. The record at this location was back in 1976 at 1,500 cfs. Pretty close to the record. Must be wild.

It is along Rt 28, just east of the "Copperhood Spa and Resort". There is some kind of portal/gate there on the esopus that the state (via the DEP?) controls the water release. Affects the fishermen, kayakers, etc.. along the Esopus downstream...

If you have the Venture Out catskills map, I believe it is also marked on that mapset....

Jay

Didn't take long for winter to return to the Catskills. Got down there today to hike Panther Mountain. No significant areas of water to speak of on the trail, plenty of snowpack left and a couple of inches of fresh snow and wind made it feel like a regular 'ole winter hike. Not as fine as a couple of weeks ago but what the heck. Used crampons the whole way and was happy with my choice ... individual results may vary.

Didn't take long for winter to return to the Catskills. Got down there today to hike Panther Mountain. No significant areas of water to speak of on the trail, plenty of snowpack left and a couple of inches of fresh snow and wind made it feel like a regular 'ole winter hike. Not as fine as a couple of weeks ago but what the heck. Used crampons the whole way and was happy with my choice ... individual results may vary.
Did not use crampons today at all! TR in the TR section...