Bird on Dixville: need ID

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
The bird was at about 3000' on Dixville Peak in Northern NH. Quite tame (I could approach to under 10 feet away). On the ground. Flew in little swoops sort of like a Junco. (Sorry for pictures, hard to get good focus.) Slightly larger than a sparrow. Smaller than a Grosbeak although the bill looks like a Grosbeak. A little like a winter male Snow Bunting but not as red/brown as pictures of that. Head markings were distinctive as was the prominent black and white pattern on wings and tail.

I checked several guide books (Peterson, Sibley) to no avail.

Dixville_Bird_1.jpg

Dixville_Bird_2.jpg

Dixville_Bird_3.jpg

Me too. I was going to say snow bunting having seen two on separate occasions on Monadnock. But, when I read you had checked, I thought to check it myself. So, my call: snow bunting- 1st winter female.
(I'm also waiting for Puck to chime in. :) )

Yup. She needs to find her mob again. I don't recall seeing a single snow bunting on its own in all the times I've seen them.

As you might imagine from my avatar slogan, they hold a special place in my list of favorite birds.

Thanks everyone. I have seen all the pictures on line and in the books. Snow Bunting is clearly the closest match.

BUT

The eye patch on my bird does not match any picture I have seen yet. All the pictures (lik'e Darren's Cornell link below) show a break around the eye:

http://content.ornith.cornell.edu/UEWebApp/images/WLN_021604_100067_L.jpg

Dixville_Bird_4.jpg

(Gosh that guy sure is a better photographer than me! :))

Whereas mine has a continuous patch from beak to neck. Almost like the patch on a Common yellowthroat.

I'm happy to chalk it up to individual variation. Meanwhile my brother-in-law works at Cornell and he's going to ask the experts there.

Terrain is also off. Winter habitat is according to link: "Habitat ... In winter, Snow Buntings inhabit a variety of open lands, including short-grass prairie, farmland, beaches, and roadsides."

Haven't seen any reference that mentions forestland. Maybe the snowmobile trail on Dixville qualifies as a "roadside" :) .

Last edited by a moderator:
Papa Bear said:
BUT
The eye patch on my bird does not match any picture I have seen yet. All the pictures (lik'e Darren's Cornell link below) show a break around the eye:
I think yours has a black eye from flirting with the wrong flock stud.
This would also explain her solitude and friendliness towards another species.