Birds of Ecuador presentation, April 25 at 7PM

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaiagirl

Reaction score
Naturalist and author Rudy Gelis will present the ‘Natural History of Birds in Ecuador’ at the Tin Mountain Conservation Center nature program on Wednesday, April 25 at 7 PM at the Nature Learning Center on Bald Hill Road in Albany, NH.

Ecuador is about the size of Colorado yet nearly 1600 species of birds have been recorded there. Rudy’s hour-long presentation is about how he explores and studies this diversity. The talk provides a brief introduction to what birds do for a living in Ecuador. Attendees will journey across the country, from Pacific Choco rainforest to the Pacific deserts, then to the Andes and their respective high mountain landscapes and cloud forests, and finally to the Amazon Basin.

The talk is based around high quality bird photos by photographer Murray Cooper, co-author with Rudy for the new book “Plumas-Birds of Ecuador”. Murray’s photos are being used by foundations that are protecting some of Ecuador’s most threatened bird species. The birds in the photos are wild and a flash is only rarely used. For tropical birds this is unheard of and if you have been to the New World tropics, you know how difficult it is just to see an antbird or antpitta in the understory, much less take a photo with a 600 mm lens without flash.

Come enjoy this rare view and presentation of the “Birds of Ecuador”.
Tin Mountain Conservation Center’s nature programs are open to the public. Donations of $3 per person and $5 per person are appreciated. Special thanks to L.L. Bean and the Evenor Armington Fund for continued support. For more information on Tin Mountain Conservation Center please log on to www.tinmtn.org or call Donna or Josh at 603-447-6991.

That does sound great. Too bad it's on a work night and pretty far away from me to go. I've recently gotten into birding and really enjoy it.

I'm on vacation that week. Might be a good day for a day hike in the Conway area, then off to the program. Wednesday? I'm 75% there.

It is, indeed, on Wednesday evening. I also realize not many live up this way, but some do, and other programs we have are on weekends and/or are just really special. That's why I do post them from time to time. Any and all are invited. Our upcoming Spring and Summer Nature Program Series is really pretty impressive. I'll post things from time to time if I feel there might be an interest.