Blackhead 4/14 my Catskill finish!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
All those who have helped me along the way are welcomed.......

Just have to hike Kaaterskill tomorrow for my 34th and it's all set...

Will update everyone monday night or Tuesday morning....

This will be a bagel hike...get ready to order!

Also it's been winter conditions the whole week so i'll be bringing my crampons because I'm a newbi still following rules!

coldfeet said:
All those who have helped me along the way are welcomed.......

Just have to hike Kaaterskill tomorrow for my 34th and it's all set...

Will update everyone monday night or Tuesday morning....

This will be a bagel hike...get ready to order!

Also it's been winter conditions the whole week so i'll be bringing my crampons because I'm a newbi still following rules!

What about the 4 winter peaks? 39 total.

Kevin

got them....funny thing was that my Catskill hiking seemed to have started in the winter because i was free from my children's weekend spring/fall sports...

Thx una dogger it's been an interesting few days, with really nice folks..

bubba......I usually get to hike app 8 peaks a winter....had to wait since October to try pushing it because of knee problem....giving it a good shot this week...i'm sure I'll be paying for it in the future...

Tom/Laurie.....I was reading David White's book about the hike....from your experience what do you suggest?.....also I want to start early giving people a chance to get cleaned up before the dinner..

We'd suggest going up between Blackhead and Blackdome. Other routes could be icier.

We could meet out on Rt. 23 at the trailhead for Windham High Peak then carpool.

But, you pick the start time and meeting place, and we'll be there!

Going up via the col between Blackdome and Blackhead (lockwood gap) is the quickway but you can always do the loop around or back the same way. There are a couple of steep scrambles down the escarpment trail though, less so on the route Tom mentions which mostly avoids the escarpment trail. It could easily be a decision made on the summit since the trailhead is the same, the path from Big Hollow will split off a 1/2 mile or so into the woods.

Jay

Time to order the bagels, what ever you guys think is an appropriate time to start is fine with me...I'll look at the map tonight..

I will be there David, looking forward to it. May I suggest an 8:00AM start time. This way we will have plenty of time to enjoy the day and still have time to shower and get ready for the dinner. I have to go back to New Paltz to shower and get ready. But what ever you decide I will still be there.

Cindy

8 sounds good, will check the map...

una dogger, and Michael J.....your most certainly welcomed...as a matter of fact, I was there for Michael J's finish in Vermont....got video of him....take care...

Tom's idea of parking at the trailhead for Windham on Rte 23 sounds real good....8 a good start?....It gives plenty of time for folks to get cleaned up and a chance to hit the skytop for a V@B drink....but I thought Ashokan was the hike for this pub?

coldfeet said:
Tom's idea of parking at the trailhead for Windham on Rte 23 sounds real good....8 a good start?....It gives plenty of time for folks to get cleaned up and a chance to hit the skytop for a V@B drink....but I thought Ashokan was the hike for this pub?

8:00 out on 23 or, 8:00 start hiking?

BTW, you can do any hike you want, the pub is mandatory! :eek: :D

David, glad to see the knee surgery worked out for you. Man you really tested it out these past few weeks.

Congratulations, 3500 is a real feat in such a short time. Redo it all in winter and on to the 100 peaks?

Have fun at the meetup.

Tom ----8 o'clock at Route 23

paul ron --- the knees are sore this week...I overdid it....also got in the mail today a balance that I owe the hospital and ana....drug doctor.. :eek:

gotta get my tax refund and pay off bills....

Was in the city today 18th and 6th ave....school workshop...windy, rainy and chilly...but had lunch with mom :)