Blizzard Survival Bag

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillK

Reaction score
Greetings,
I was just reading up on this "Blizzard Survival Bag" and it sounds quite intriguing. Has anyone here field tested it to see how it compares to an Adventure Thermo-Lite Bivvy Sack? I currently have the Adventure bivvy sack but was wondering if it'd be worth upgrading, especially considering the price.
I don't carry a sleeping bag, but I do carry a TNF Himalayan Parka (900-fill down), and I'd like to supplement this with whatever necessary to keep me alive in the event of an emergency situation. I'm thinking that between all my layers, the down jacket, and the Adventure Bivvy, that *should* suffice, but I'm not all that certain if the temps were cold enough. If the "Blizzard Survival Bag" offers much better protection over the Adventure Bivvy sack, then I'd consider the upgrade. If there's not big difference between the two, then I'll stay with my existing system.

Thanks,

- Bill

Are you referring to this from the UK:

http://www.blizzardprotectionsystems.com/acatalog/detail_bag.html

I also have the adventure medical bivy, and haven't tried the BSB, but I remember reading about it last year, possibly on some UK forum. If I remember this correctly, one comment was that once it is unpacked from the vacuum sealed bag, you will never get it packed that small again (it is possible that was about some other similar product though).

I don't know what "8 togs" mean, but I don't buy that it is as warm as a sleeping bag; you need loft or dead air space for warmth. I also don't think I would like it being tight and clingy, since I think (I should try this again) that the bivy is large enough inside to allow me to change layers, or untie my boots, etc, so it is more like tiny tent tent then being trapped in a foil burrito like that. I also don't see way to vent it, and one other consideration would be how to get in it, or use it, if you had a serious leg or back injury (the bivy has the velcro openning), which is what would lead me to be stuck and need to bivy in the first place.

Do you carry an emergency stove? I am thinking of adding an esbit stove and titantium cup for emergencies, particularly being able to melt or heat water would be nice.

Yes, that's the bag I was referring to. Correct, once removed from the sealed bag that it comes in, it won't go back in. I've read that you can purchase a stuff sack for it however. The literature would lead you to believe that it can't be beat, but I too also have my doubts. That's why I was curious if anyone here has tested it. Yes, I just recently picked up an MSR WhisperLite stove. Again, for an emergency situation. (Melt snow for water)

- Bill

1 trick pony..........

In an “emergency” situation where you had a down parka, you could use your pack to cover the lower half, with maybe some clothes wrapped around the feet or even bring along some down booties or down pants. I just think those items will be more versatile not only when you’re out for an unexpected night, but in other situations.

These days you can also get nice down bags that weigh in around a pound, pack to the size of a softball, and are great summer bags and emergency back ups or liner bags for your winter bag when the temps really drop on overnights.

When I'm solo in winter on long day hikes, or expect poor visibility above tree line, I usually add a light down sleeping bag to my daypack. If I'm with a group I prefer to have at least one bag for every two people for emergency purposes.

I tend look for items that can be used in more than just 1 way.....

Have the AMS bag - never needed it but a freind used his to get thru a rainy 40 degree night with a tent leak - it worked well - stayed dry and warm when he was starting to get chilled. I carry the AMS bag on ALL hikes - even local state park hikes...

I now have a lightweight sleeping bag (Marmot Helium 15 degree) that weighs less than 2 pounds and compacts down to nothing - I will carry it on some winter hikes...good insurance policy. I could not get myself to carry my older, colder heavier bag.

I love the Esbit stove - simple simple simple...not a great stove for melting snow - you will need a lot of fuel - but it is light and compact (mine fits into my titanium pot with the fuel and lighters.) I do carry it all winter - even on day hikes - just in case.

Bill, I have a similar parka; mine is the older Baltoro-800 fill and flat pockets-the new ones are cut on a diagonal I think. I also have a pair of GoLite insulated pants-not made anymore. Although I've never had to try it, that jacket, some insulated pants and a bivy sack should suffice in pretty cold weather with a pad of some type to insulate you from the snow. Not sure if the jacket alone would be enough.

Latest posts