Boot durability questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Berard

Reaction score
N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
For most of my hiking life, I have used all leather backpacking boots as my primary 3 season boot. Currently I have a pair of Scarpa boots that I've had for 10+ years. I got a pair of lightweight hikers halfway through last year and the sole is already toast! :mad: There are pieces which are delaminating, and the tread is 75% worn away. I could fix the delamination with barge cement, but with the tread almost gone I'd only get a few more hikes out of them.I've probably put 150 miles or so on these boots, which won an editor's choice award from Backpacker magazine, and needless to say, I'm none too pleased. Is this about what I should expect from a lightweight hiker???

In short: No.

I have a pair of TNF "lightweight" hikers that I've had for...wow, somewhere around 12 years...geez, I'm getting old. I used some barge cement to repair the toe cap when that delaminated, but that was the only repair I've done. I've gone through many sets of insoles and shoelaces and the lugs are mostly gone, but they're still in service as my work boots around the house.

Check the warranty out on the Tims, alot of retailers will honor the manufacturer's warranty.

I agree. That's only 10 moderate hikes.

Timberland
Warranty: If there's a defect in your merchandise, ship it back to us and we'll make things right. All Timberland® products are covered under our warranty against material and manufacturing defects, even after 60 days from your purchase shipment date. If Timberland determines that a product has a material or manufacturing defect, we'll replace it.

Customer Service: We want to make sure you're happy with your shopping experience. Our Customer Service team can help resolve any problems you may have experienced with your purchase. They can also assist you with reordering an item, and you'll receive FREE GROUND SHIPPING on that reorder. Please contact them at 1-888-802-9947

I used to get about 400 hiking miles off a pair of new balance trail runners (801 through 808). I picked up some 810's this spring and they are definitely wearing out quicker than past versions. I dopnt have a lot of chocie as the selection for 13 4EEEE is pretty slim.

Compared to prior heavyweight boots, the trail runners dont in general seem to last as long.

Jason Berard said:
Thanks guys, I was hesitant to call them since the "60 days" was up, but I did and they are going to assess them for "manufacturing defects" and hopefully send me out a new pair.

A long time ago, I contacted Timberland about a pair of defective workboots that fell apart after 3 years. They asked me to send a letter and enclose the boots. About three weeks later, I receved a new pair of boots that were of the same size, but a slightly different style. The replacement pair lasted me for 12 years of TOUGH use! Best pair of footwear I ever owned. Although it is possible that their policies may have changed since then, it is still worth a quick call.

Good luck,
Marty

marty said:
A long time ago, I contacted Timberland about a pair of defective workboots that fell apart after 3 years. They asked me to send a letter and enclose the boots. About three weeks later, I receved a new pair of boots that were of the same size, but a slightly different style. The replacement pair lasted me for 12 years of TOUGH use! Best pair of footwear I ever owned. Although it is possible that their policies may have changed since then, it is still worth a quick call.

Good luck,
Marty

Thats encouraging to hear. Thanks Marty.

I think it's less a question of lightweight vs. heavyweight than it is the brand. There are 1st tier boot manufacturers, like Scarpa, Garmont, Raichle, Salomon, Montrail, La Sportiva - there may be a few others. I've bought Timberland, TNF, and Merrill and learned my lesson - never again.

Even though many of the top boot makers may not make all models within their line, their specs and QC are high enough so that you get a good product. Too bad about Merrill - they used to be a consistently good maker, but they sold and most of their boots are made offshore. One exception is their Wilderness - looks a bit like a Limmer - and that one is made for them in Europe (Meindl?).

Personally, I don't put too much stock in boot reviews because the reviewer simply doesn't have enough time to wear them over time. Maybe if they did a follow-up after say, 2 years - but that defeats their purpose. So, for boots I stick with brand.

The one thing I've really noticed is different types of soles. I have a pair of Asolo boots with a Vibram sole and REI Boots (rebranded Merrils) with a no-name sole. The Asolo boots are still good after 3 years of consistent hiking. The Merrils are showing the same wear on the soles after only 1 summer of hiking! The Merril soles are much softer which means better traction. I don't think it's worth the trade off in durability though. If I get another pair of boots, it will probably be another pair wiith a Virbram sole.

KevCon223 said:
My Montrail Torre GTX's are still in great shape after 3 years and about 50 hikes. The most comfortable boot I've ever worn.

Kevin

Montrails have been a double edged sword for me - the lightest, most comfortable boot I have ever worn...but, the metal pieces that the laces wrap around pull out real easy...I ahve paid $5 four times to a cobbler to get them replaced - Montrail is now owned by Columbia who did not respond to my inquiry regarding this...my newest pair of boots are Asolos, but I have not been wearing them yet as I am still enjoying the Torre GTXs....still have some mileage in them...

Boot Summary.

First, I'm very hard on boots so my data will probably reflect worst case situations.

Cloth/leather lightweight hikers such as the Merril Eagle or Nike approach from the 80s lasted for 300-400 miles (average not known but at least 5 pairs used.) Failure was typically sole delamination at the ball. Not repairable.

EMS brand light duty (thin midsole) leather boots lasted for 284 to 907 miles (average 523 miles for 6 pair) Failure was typically midsole degradation from faulity material. Some pairs were replaced by EMS free others resoled for free.

Raichle brand midweight leather boots lasted for 378 to 868 miles (average 675 for 3 pairs) Failure was typically rand peeling or sole delamination.

Asolo leather 535s lasted for 793 to 1106 miles (average 925 miles for 4 pairs) Failure was from sole wear. All other aspects performed well tough rand peeling needs to be managed with barge cement or shoegoo2

Fabiano heavy leather boots with Norwegian welt lasted for about 1800 miles. Failure was from Sole wear and boot curlings...should have used shoetrees or wore them out more quickly.

For winter, Sorel Crusaders lasted for 1989 miles in 12 yrs. Failure from cracking at the ball - crampon stress. The soles were worn quite thin too.

I have standardized on Asolo 535s for 3 season and have 1 pair in service and 5 pair on the shelf so I figure I'm good for 10yrs. :)

I agree about Vibram soles being the most durable material out there and incredibly grippy but in my experience you need to go with the yellow tabbed Vibram, the green tabbed Vibram being lighter and prone to slipping.

I have a pair of Vasque Alpine II backpacking boots that I have just about worn the tread off from, but its taken me about four years, approximately 1000 miles of backpacking and countless hikes.

I was very disappointed today when I stopped into The Mountaineer and found nothing that could compare to them.

I have noticed that the quality of backpacking boots has deteriorated significantly. Early this summer I purchased a pair of REI leather boots with the "green" tab Vibram soles to use mainly for peakbagging so I could conserve the life of my Vasque's, and I am very disappointed. To the point that I asked MichaelJ to remind me to "never wear these boots again". The tread sucks and they provide very little traction despite thier lugs. I think I've worn them three times and took spills every time. I bought them on clearance for $99 but their original price was $149. I don't know where REI gets off selling crap like this. I have held onto them, but they will probably end up being the boots I wear to take the trash to the recycling center.

Today I tried on a pair of Vasque Sundowners, which used to be the "brand to have" about ten years ago. I was very disappointed at their overall quality, especially the top stitching and the tongue. They are made in Korea.

I think an Italian Made one piece leather boot with a yellow tabbed Vibram sole is the way to go.

They no longer make my current boots, and I'm not sure its worth resoling these. I've certainly gotten my $250 out of them, and they have been stable, secure and trusty for every single hike or backpack.

Last edited:
una_dogger said:
I think an Italian Made one piece leather boot with a yellow tabbed Vibram sole is the way to go.

I have such a pair -- LL Bean Cresta. My beef is that I have a 12.5 foot and nobody makes a 12.5 shoe. My whole adult life I've had to find small 13s or big 12s. The Crestas are made for a heavy sock, and so in the summer they were a bit loose until I got a nice thick SuperFeet insert, and now they fit well.

They will be a year on Labor day, maybe a dozen and a half trips. I wish they had scree guards as the leather around the toes is scratched to heck. But hey, they came from LL Bean and I can bring them back if I'm not satisfied even if they are worn out.

Tim

I've got a pair of Garmont trail shoe things that I bought over a year and a half ago. I don't wear them hiking everyweekend, but I do wear them pretty much everyday except during the summer. They've also been through the washing machine a few times after some muddy or dusty hikes. On a daily basis I do not untie them, which means I get a lot of heal lift, I like it. Soooo, my point is they don't look like I've had them for more than a month. I mean, they look freakin brand new! They have only JUST started to rip out in the back from my heal lift. I've never had a pair shoes last me this long. I'll be buying another pair of Garmonts for sure.

John H Swanson said:
Asolo leather 535s lasted for 793 to 1106 miles (average 925 miles for 4 pairs) Failure was from sole wear. All other aspects performed well tough rand peeling needs to be managed with barge cement or shoegoo2

I have standardized on Asolo 535s for 3 season and have 1 pair in service and 5 pair on the shelf so I figure I'm good for 10yrs. :)

I just picked up a pair last night on an awesome sale, they feel good. Hoping mine perform as well as yours!

They'll be getting thier @$$es kicked this weekend in the Daks... :D

una_dogger said:
I agree about Vibram soles being the most durable material out there and incredibly grippy but in my experience you need to go with the yellow tabbed Vibram, the green tabbed Vibram being lighter and prone to slipping.
Where did you get your data? I do not know much about the industry, but I had assumed that the color was mainly for styling. The singular exception being black. "Black" is carbon black added to rubber, which increases abrasion resistance. Carbon black also absorbs UV light, thus extending the life of rubbers subject to sunlight. This is why car tires are black (whitewalls are just paint added to the outside.) The hardness of a rubber is related to "grippyness" of the shoesole and is related to the degree of crosslinking the manufacturer has incorporated into the rubber formulation. There is no reliable way to determine this in the store other than to believe the salesman who has used a few pairs and says something like: "This pair is grippy, but this pair is really, really grippy." IMHO: The Mountaineer is very good for this. "Vibram" is a trademark name for a sole manufacturer that uses rubber soles developed by an Italian chemist that had friends that did a lot of hiking.

Like a lot of things nowadays, you can get a bad batch of anything, that doesn't perform to specifications. A reputable manufacturer wants to look at his goods that do not perform: to determine if the problem was due to a "bad batch" of material they purchased from another manufacturer, some mistake/miscalculation they had made on their end, or just abuse/misuse by the end user.

Last edited:
I think Sabrina may be right about the Vibram green / yellow lable thing . I always assumed all Vibram soles were the same , with no different grades. My first pair of Montrail Torres were incredibly slippery , almost to the point of having to return them . The second pair were a little better . For most of the summer I've been wearing a super-comfortable pair of Garmont trail shoes that stick like glue to rock . I never paid much attention to what the soles were untill looking just now , and I was suprised to see they were yellow lable Vibram . Not sure what the lable color is on the Montrail boots , but the difference in traction is night and day .

Dave

Data

My data is purely anectdotal and based on my own experience. Sorry that wasn't clear. :)

I put nearly 60 tough miles on my new Asolo's this weekend and they performed very well. Had some concerns about traction on the Allen Slide saturday, but I learned to trust them in the following days.

I found these Asolo 535's to be fairly stable with a roomy toe box. Arch support is good. These are the first non gortex boots I've had in a while and I'm questioning that decision.

Overall they seem to be working out well for me, the ankle support could be better, the tongue could use a bit more cushioning; but I have no blisters or pressure points.