Breadloaf Wilderness In VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Continuing to search for new areas to explore and came across a Facebook post about the Breadloaf Wilderness in VT. I essentially have never done any hiking in VT except a Winter ascent of Camel's Hump a few years back so I have no knowledge of the state really. Article Made it sound very remote (dense woods, lots of wildlife and few people) and being a true wilderness experience and some Google image searches do make it look like a nice spot.

So looking for some basic info:
1) Is the area truly a wilderness feel? Any NH wilderness areas in NH that would be a good comparison?
2) From what I researched dispersed camping is allowed because it is within Green Mountains and dispersed camping is allowed in that forest (200 ft from trails, water, etc). When you click the specific link from the state site to Breadloaf though the dispersed camping section has no words. ?? And if so, are the woods so thick and dense that dispersed camping is a challenge?
3) Any loop recommendations, points of interest, must sees, etc? I'd like to do it as an overnight (maybe 2 nights) and I'd be alone so no car spot option. Looking at the maps parking at Cooley Glen-Emily Proctor trail head would probably provide the best solo loop option with possible spur side trips to peaks like Grant, Breadloaf, etc.

Any feedback from the Vermont experts here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Continuing to search for new areas to explore and came across a Facebook post about the Breadloaf Wilderness in VT. I essentially have never done any hiking in VT except a Winter ascent of Camel's Hump a few years back so I have no knowledge of the state really. Article Made it sound very remote (dense woods, lots of wildlife and few people) and being a true wilderness experience and some Google image searches do make it look like a nice spot.

So looking for some basic info:
1) Is the area truly a wilderness feel? Any NH wilderness areas in NH that would be a good comparison?
2) From what I researched dispersed camping is allowed because it is within Green Mountains and dispersed camping is allowed in that forest (200 ft from trails, water, etc). When you click the specific link from the state site to Breadloaf though the dispersed camping section has no words. ?? And if so, are the woods so thick and dense that dispersed camping is a challenge?
3) Any loop recommendations, points of interest, must sees, etc? I'd like to do it as an overnight (maybe 2 nights) and I'd be alone so no car spot option. Looking at the maps parking at Cooley Glen-Emily Proctor trail head would probably provide the best solo loop option with possible spur side trips to peaks like Grant, Breadloaf, etc.

Any feedback from the Vermont experts here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The Breadloaf Wilderness is beautiful.
When you're on tge ridge you are. Miles from anything.
Emily proctor to LT and DowGn Cooley Glen is a classic.
I have done from Rt 125 to Lincoln Gap in a day as well.
The southern half from 125 to 78 is a little less rugged.
I believe there are camping restrictions around Skylight Pond.
The VT Presidential Range is back there.
I have slowly been exploring the old logging roads between Grant and Wilson in the valley.