Break-in time for boots?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Hi All,
I just bought a new pair of leather backpacking boots (Scarpa SL M3). I've been wearing them here and there (1/2 hr at a time, although I mostly sit during that time, I try to get up and walk as much as I can). I was wondering how long I should break them in before hitting the trails?

Cheers,

Fish

hikingfish said:
Hi All,
I just bought a new pair of leather backpacking boots (Scarpa SL M3). I've been wearing them here and there (1/2 hr at a time, although I mostly sit during that time, I try to get up and walk as much as I can). I was wondering how long I should break them in before hitting the trails?

Cheers,

Fish
My favorite boots are Limmers, all leather. Ole' Pete Limmer suggests a good long break in period. Sitting around and short walks are ok for the first few days, but after that you really need to take a couple of road hikes for a couple of miles to get them warm enough to stretch and conform to your foot. My off-the-shelf Limmers were stiff to begin with, but literally fit like a glove now and are extremely comfortable.

My father always told me the best way to break in a new pair of leather boots was to walk in water enough to soak them, then walk until they became dry on your feet. I guess it worked for him.

Nessmuk said:
My father always told me the best way to break in a new pair of leather boots was to walk in water enough to soak them, then walk until they became dry on your feet. I guess it worked for him.
Do not do this. It's horrible for the boots. No modern boot maker will suggest this.

David Metsky said:
Do not do this. It's horrible for the boots. No modern boot maker will suggest this.
Limmer agrees. If you go to thier site , click on "Boot Information", then "Break-In" it gives a run down.
Bottom line: Break-In time depends on the boot, the fit, and your foot.

Wear them to the exclusion of all other footwear, to the extent your social network and employment restrictions allow. You need all the time available, in order to avoid the horror of trying to break them in on the trail. (Hint: It ain't the boots that get broken in on the trail if you don't do this.)

Care taken now in setting them up properly for your feet will yield rewards many miles and many years from now. Be scrupulously consistent in setting the tongue and lacing whenever you put them on. If you know you've been sloppy with this, unlace and start over.

For Example with my Limmers

Following their instructions I wore my new Limmers around the house for 2 weeks. Then walked in them starting slow and working up to 5 mile walks around town (Waterville Valley). Once I had 40 miles on them, and feeling really great!, I hiked Welch-Dickey. Blistered my heel pretty badly once I hit the steeps. More break in time is definitely needed than you can imagine.
Ken (at Limmers) said new soles are stiff and take more time to soften. He suggested carrying a second pair of boots to change in to at the first sign of a hot spot.
Lesson learned. :eek:

David Metsky said:
That's why I never did it. Note, my father was born in 1914 - his leather boots started out stiff and hard, I wouldn't doubt that the bootmakers of the day suggested this. But I always saw him wear long lasting well worn soft boots that he took great care of with leather conditioner.

Last edited:
Chip said:
Bottom line: Break-In time depends on the boot, the fit, and your foot.

I agree completely. I have a pair of LL BEan Crestas I bought last year. I wore them on the treadmill for 2, 1/2 hour long walks. Next week they were on a trip up the Crawford path, the week after a 19.6 mile Isolation hike that had them soaked for at least half the hike or more.....no blisters, hot spots or comparative foot discomfort. On the other hand, Ive had boots that would not break in no matter how old they were and how much they had been worn.

Brian

I never had to break in my Limmer boots. Got a second pair this fall and wore them first time up Adams and Madison without a problem. I recently bought LaSportiva winter boots and I'm afraid they may need a breaking in period-which I don't want to do in the summer. They don't seem as forgiving as the Limmer boots.

Nessmuk said:
David Metsky said:
Not that I'm advocating doing this, but how is this different than when out on a multi day hike and the first few days are rain with hiking though swamps, etc, then you have a dry day on dry trails?

Evolutionary Stages in the Ascent of Humankind, Part II

1. Bare feet -- what you wear so you can stub your toe going to the john in the darkened hallway and thereby get a chance to practice your backwoods cussin'. No break-in needed.

2. Limmer Ultralights -- what your spouse wears on her dog walks at the local conservation area. No break-in required.

3. Limmer Lightweights -- what smart trail-hiking folks wear who know this is no lightweight boot in its construction and quality. Modest break-in required, another of its virtues.

3. Limmer Midweights -- what some folks wear either because (a) they like the glances they get from onlookers who spot the off-color uppers, or (b) they have truly weird foot shapes. Probably almost as much break-in required as the next limb up on the evolutionary tree.

4. Limmer Standards -- what you wear only after you break them in. (skibones, what planet are you from?)

5. Limmer Customs -- what your podiatrist is wearing, 'cause now he/she can afford a pair. :D

Pete_Hickey said:
Not that I'm advocating doing this, but how is this different than when out on a multi day hike and the first few days are rain with hiking though swamps, etc, then you have a dry day on dry trails?
Well, maybe you've waterproofed your boots first?

sardog1 said:
1. Bare feet -- what you wear so you can stub your toe going to the john in the darkened hallway and thereby get a chance to practice your backwoods cussin'. No break-in needed.

2. Limmer Ultralights -- what your spouse wears on her dog walks at the local conservation area. No break-in required.

3. Limmer Lightweights -- what smart trail-hiking folks wear who know this is no lightweight boot in its construction and quality. Modest break-in required, another of its virtues.

3. Limmer Midweights -- what some folks wear either because (a) they like the glances they get from onlookers who spot the off-color uppers, or (b) they have truly weird foot shapes. Probably almost as much break-in required as the next limb up on the evolutionary tree.

4. Limmer Standards -- what you wear only after you break them in. (skibones, what planet are you from?)

5. Limmer Customs -- what your podiatrist is wearing, 'cause now he/she can afford a pair. :D

I have Limmer Lightwweights--may be the reason for no break in time. Everyone's feet are different so I would suggest you follow the recommended break-in procedures. And, yes I am on this planet. Maybe you were hoping to join me on a planet where we levitate over rocks! Or you can try the Lightweights.

skibones said:
I have Limmer Lightwweights--may be the reason for no break in time. Everyone's feet are different so I would suggest you follow the recommended break-in procedures. And, yes I am on this planet. Maybe you were hoping to join me on a planet where we levitate over rocks! Or you can try the Lightweights.

I have the Light Weights, so case in point that everyones feet are different.
The levitation idea sounds good!! :D

Latest posts