Broken Trails in Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
I have started this thread on a few other boards but I know some of you dont frequent them so here it goes :D
I was just curious about something :D How many of you wait for the trails to be broken out before you attempt a high peak? I am guessing probably the majority of the people here :eek: How many of you make a commitment and stick with it reguardless of trails being broken out or not?

I think I am going to try and start my winter 46 next winter with the help of my friend Andy. Granted I am going to start out easy and see if I like it and will wait for a trail to be broken out first I also think if I get started and I like it and I have a set goal in mind for that day I will break trail if need be. If I make it to the summit I do but if I dont no big deal. After all I am just out there to have a fun time and enjoy everything about winter hiking :)

Thanks,
Adam

When I did my winter 46 (1999 to 2003) I considered a broken trail a bonus, especially on peaks w/ herdpaths. Me and my partners broke trail on maybe 20 of my winter peaks, including many w/ trails. I never planned around a trip report to take advantage of somebody elses hard work, I live to far away to be that flexible. John

I view myself as an opportunist. I carefully monitor the weather, the trail conditions and trip reports. This winter, Laurie and I hiked almost every weekend in the Daks. We didn't always go with the intention of following a broken trail, but there were times when we did. We also put in our share of breaking trail. When you are getting down to less than 10 peaks on a list, you can't be very picky. We went to Redfield and Cliff twice this winter (both very long hikes) before we made it to the top. We went to the Santanonis 3/4 times before we got all 3 peaks.

Sometimes breaking trails can pay off. We started Redfield after the big blizzard, others finished it, and we then benefitted from being able to go back.

This past weekend, Couch was broken, and we knew it. But it is still a 17-18 mile hike, and we encountered wind, snow, spruce traps, etc.

I helped a friend do HaBaSa 2 winters ago for his W46 finish. We had to break trail part of the way, and in other places people went ahead of us and opened the trail. They didn't know we were coming. They were just hiking.

I was at the Allen trailhead Saturday. No one has gone to Allen since 1/27! :eek: So, if you were waiting for that trail to be broken, you'd be waiting a long time!

I view trailbreaking as a fraternity. Everyone pitches in, and everyone benefits! :D

When I completed the W46, our small group broke trail on all but a handful of the peaks. While we didn't mind the occasional 'gift' of a trail that had been broken previously, we showed up ready to do whatever it took to get the peak.
While I'm nowhere in that kind of condition today, we looked at trailbreaking as a strengthener and conditioner for whatever the next trip presented us.
Who knows what lurking we might have engaged in had hiking boards been as prevalent then. Maybe we would have peeked at what was broken, but so few were doing the W46 it really wasn't an issue.

PB

Until about 10-15 years ago, it was the *exception* to have a trail broken out for almost all but the most popular winter routes. Even when I started winter hiking in the early 90s, we *expected* to break trail on most hikes. I remember getting excited to see other cars parked at a trailhead because that meant the trail was broken out, if only until we caught those ahead of us!

Remember, too, that these were the days before the internet (for the general public anyway), so there were no "trail conditions" or "trip reports" to be had.

I'm sure Roy S. & some of the others 80s hikers can chime in with some interesting stories here.

Last edited:
Stinkyfeet said:
Until about 10-15 years ago, it was the *exception* to have a trail broken out for almost all but the most popular winter routes. Even when I started winter hiking in the early 90s, we *expected* to break trail on most hikes. I remember getting excited to see other cars parked at a trailhead because that meant the trail was broken out, if only until we caught those ahead of us!

Remember, too, that these were the days before Al Gore invented the internet :D so there were no "trail conditions" or "trip reports" to be had.

Those were the most memorable Winter Climbs, I ever did! Start in the middle of the night and come out in late evening. :eek:

Some people suggest that modern medicine is weakening the human race because certain genetically transmitted traits that would otherwise be eliminated are maintained within the gene pool. Individuals who carry these traits are saved by modern medicine and then transmit the bad genes to subsequent generations.

These same people would suggest that the internet has weakened the winter hiking population by introducing the trail conditions web page. Instead of toughening up and taking it on the chin like hard core winter peakbaggers people are sipping laté as they peruse the 'net looking for the easy way.

OTOH, this could be the next big step in Homo sapiens' evolution. Isn't the originator of this site a guy called Darwin?

For me, it's a combination. As a preface, I should say that I'm not working on any winter lists and doubt I ever will. But I enjoy getting out several times each winter and go solo close to 100-percent of the time. For me, I know it's not possible to break trail for 6 or 8 miles through 2 feet of snow, so I'll check things out on-line to increase my odds of summiting. But I also don't really like a trail that's broken out and packed down all the way. Takes away the challenge, if you ask me. So a little bit of both I guess,

Hey PB - would it be possible to change my screen name to "Puma concolor" when you get a chance? Thanks.

Broken path-trail-bushike...

Hi everybody.

I think only few things made the real difference: :cool:

1- What is your goal and when WILL You like to catch this goal: at the limite if You take the decision to hike the 46 or 48 or 11? or all Winter peaks the 29 Febuary YOU HAVEN'T ONLY ONE CHOIXE check what it is broken, what the forecast and WHAT IS YOUR DETERMINATION TO CATCH YOUR GOAL. You will have to broken the trail today or the next 29.... :confused:

2- How much time by week with what flexibility You have every week of Winter, usualy if You hike Friday and Saturday You haven't the same chance of if You hike the Sunday and Monday to hike in good snowhoes tracks. :p

3- More time You hike in every weather, snow conditions, You develop the know of each mountain, where in each mountain is it the real challenge, where is the bypass, where is the time to take or not a shortcut... You know also where is your real limite, how much unconfortable situations are You ready to accept, each successful goal push You to the next step when You are in the doubt today or the next time. The experience isn't transmitting!!! :D

4- The help friends when You are near your goal, the hand in your shoulder, the smile in the face, the real complicity around or without a beer after a "short" eleven hours day in salt mine!!!! :rolleyes:

5- A smile in snow or a snow rabbit just a very small thing touch your heart and push or pull You to give your best.....with the real monopoly money when You close your eyes for the night or for the eternity I REAL EXIST TODAY AND DIDN'T JUST SURVIVE..... ;)

The last weeken was a very great help for me... today when I hiked to go in my work I was singint.....thank You my friends. :)

Pinpin Junior

Stinkyfeet said:
I'm sure Roy S. & some of the others 80s hikers can chime in with some interesting stories here.
Note that my experience is in New England but I'm sure NY is similar

When Miriam Underhill popularized winter 4k in the '60s, she would figure on multiple trips per peak breaking further each day

When I climbed the NH 46 (there were 46 then) in winter in the 70's, there were only about 5 finishers a year. While there were certainly spouses, kids, etc. that never broke trail, serious hikers expected it and used large snowshoes (13x28 were required by some Boston AMC trips, Adk types used some with a 2" tail, the 10x36 Tubbs were just coming in). A friend in the NH highway department at that time said the Lakes Region got about 14 plowable storms a year, so trails didn't stay broken long. Most people hiked with either clubs or groups of friends. Some carefree types would look in the AMC Bulletin for trips and go the following day, or you could drive around looking for cars in parking lots or tracks ahead. I remember starting up Webster Cliff because there were what looked like solid tracks ahead, a mile in we caught up with 2 guys who were backpacking the Presidentials for a week so we wound up breaking the whole hard part for them. As TR says, once you got to the last few on the list you had fewer options and just recruited enough people to help you break (6 was preferred), or else waited till after a thaw and walk on the crust.

With more winter hikers now, more trails are broken out and with the Internet it's easier to find where they are. Now I prefer to hike alone and rarely break trail on a 4k peak because I only climb them when it's easy. I still expect to break trail for offbeat destinations, and either recruit friends or figure not to get so far.

Note that just as some skiers prefer deep powder to groomed terrain, there are people who think it isn't really snowshoeing unless you're in untracked snow. They must hate the high peaks :)

We used to go out and set up a base camp in Manitoba and Ontario (Now just in Quebec) and start making a little network of trails. By day 3 our morning conversation sounds something like, "if we go around to the other side of this peak we can use our trail from Monday and get back in time to cut wood". By the time we have to leave it is so sad to abandon our own personal trail system.

When back at work again I often stop and think about those little tracks out in the woods that are still there. Sniff.

In 10 years people we will use GoogleRealTime Earth to actually watch live as the trails get broken out. Using satellite feed we will scan the trails on our folding porta-screens as we drive up to the TH.

Imagine saying, "Hey! Look what Giggy is doing, that's disgusting!" :eek: :D
Or, "Oh no! Look who's doing Colden, let's go to Algonquin instead, besides Pin-Pin is half way up already."

Badge of honor

To me, breaking trail is a rite of passage. Not that I am scouting the TRs looking for peaks that are not broken out mind you but there is something satisfying about trail breaking. Sometimes knowing that an unbroken trail awaits me can help summons the resolve that is required when the effort is going to be arduous. Other times I am hoping for a flat tire on my way to the trailhead! :rolleyes:
But I think everyone should try it or resolve to not let it limit their options.
I read many a post in these forums from folks that dared to try and failed on a summit attempt but never have I read that it wasn't worth the effort. Even in defeat you can walk, stagger or hobble with your head held high, and as my buddy Hawk would say, 'Grinnin' like a dog eatin' bumblebees.'