Buried treasure in the Catskill?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the gold and jewelled item that was hidden in the Catskills a number of years back? Clues were given out and lots of people were out in the mountains looking for it.

Does anyone remember more details, was it found, who found it and where?

Hi Peakbagr,
I had the clue book and searched the stage rd. area going up to the mtn. house.I think the stone was found near Kaaterskill Falls area. I am not sure though.I looked along the amphitheater rock ,and surrounding area for several weeks after work during the summer that year.I did see lots of wildlife though ,so it was worth it.I think that a bank in Catskill held the reward when the rock was found.I think it was about 20 yrs. ago.

Last edited:
Dutch Schultz's treasure is still out there according to local legends. Perhaps we could organize a VFTT expedition to search for it. :D

A treasure still for the taking

Times Union 3/27/05 (Paul Grondahl) - the article is copyrighted but here is the lead:

CATSKILL - They couldn't have scripted a better mystery.

Since 1991, a bejeweled crown appraised at nearly $11,000 has gone unclaimed in a Greene County tourism promotion, despite the efforts of treasure hunters from as far away as Montreal and Great Britain. Although interest has waned over the years and those still seeking the prize have faded to a few die-hards, the game is still afoot.

A crown that sparkles with amethyst, citrine, garnet, topaz and diamonds remains up for grabs.

funkyfreddy said:
Dutch Schultz's treasure is still out there according to local legends. Perhaps we could organize a VFTT expedition to search for it. :D

Why do you think I'm working on the hundred highest??? :p

Let me know when you want to organize a search party... I'm game!

Jay

AOC-1 said:
Times Union 3/27/05 (Paul Grondahl) - the article is copyrighted but here is the lead:

CATSKILL - They couldn't have scripted a better mystery.

Since 1991, a bejeweled crown appraised at nearly $11,000 has gone unclaimed in a Greene County tourism promotion, despite the efforts of treasure hunters from as far away as Montreal and Great Britain. Although interest has waned over the years and those still seeking the prize have faded to a few die-hards, the game is still afoot.

A crown that sparkles with amethyst, citrine, garnet, topaz and diamonds remains up for grabs.

Does anyone know any background in regards to this crown?

That's alot of years of duff built up over the site. The longer we wait the harder it will be. When do we go? :D