Bursitis of the hip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Just trying to diagnose something, not just hiking, but walking, I can feel a slight tick in the right hip, where the leg bone basically meets the pelvisb bone, nothing major but annoying.. Sounds like, from talking to friends and stuff like mild bursitis.. (http://www.medicinenet.com/hip_bursitis/article.htm).. Basically, in my walking stride, at a certain point, I will feel a slight tick in the right hip, usually just when I'm going to push off on the right foot and of course the muscles tense up and stuff... Does this sound like it? Bone spur? Bursitis?

Jay

Jay H said:
Bone spur? Bursitis?

Old age! :p

Sounds like bursitis maybe ..... but your best best is to see a doc and ask him these questions. Not that there are not a lot of smart people posting on these forums, but you don't want an internet diagnosis for something that could be serious. I've had knee pain in the past, and one of my docs actually mentioned bursitis, but even he was wrong. Turned out to be illio-tibial friction syndrome. So even if you see a good doctor, get a second opinion before beginning any treatment.

Clicking (or snapping) hip syndrome?

With every step the iliotibial band snaps over the greater trochanter. Annoying but rarely problematic.

Nothing major, it just kind of reminds me it's there.. I can feel it when climbing stairs and walking, not just hiking....nothing that I'm concerned with yet anyway, but just thought to keep an eye out on it.. or perhaps a leg on it. :p

I'll see if it goes away in a few days... Sunday was a lot of bushwacking and steep & mossy and slippery rock slabbing up the steep face of Dink.

Jay

My suggestion is that you have it checked out now while it is still minor. You may be able to head off (or hold off) bigger problems if you can deal with it now.

Doug

I had the same thing. My doctor called it "weaver's butt". Weaver's butt is
bursitis, which was caused by doing a repetative motion--hiking up the hill!!
I got some stretches to do from PT and it helped.

I was diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis several years ago ... and my symptoms sound nothing like yours! Check with a doc. If it is the type of bursitis I have, exercise is great for it and greatly helps to relieve the pain.