Bushwhacker commandments.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
You know how glossy magazines like to put stuff like, "Six ways to a new you" "7 tips for a stress-filled Christmas" "5 easy steps to ripped abs" and so on.

Well, I thought I'd come up with a handful of commandments for bushwhackers.

I racked my brain, reflected on my previous experiences and reviewed dozens of trip reports.

All I came up with was one commandment. Bushwhacking is so simple that all one needs to remember is this:

**** THOU SHALT DEVIATE. ****

Last edited:
Neil, are you suggesting that bushwhackers are deviants?

G.

Thou shalt leave any gear that has been stowed in pockets or is hanging on thoust pack behind as an offering to the forest.

Thou shalt pay penance for trespassing on untrodden earth when thou dost shower after the hike.

Blowdowns?!? Do you guys where hair shirts while you bushwhack? The moose don't go through blowdowns. Let them show you a new path.

Call me a Moosethedist. :p

Thou shalt at all times make sure thy telescoping trekking poles are firmly torqued before proceeding through yonder scrub, lest ye lose the bottom half of one pole.

What gear thou shalt on a bushwhack take is considered expendable.

Thou shalt at all times make sure thy telescoping trekking poles are firmly torqued before proceeding through yonder scrub, lest ye lose the bottom half of one pole.

Hmmm ... I found the lower section of a pole many years ago (Sept 12, 1999) heading back from Fort and am wondering if it was yours?

Last edited:
Thou shalt obey thine GPS for verily ye will never find thine summit nor thine car without such a gift from the benevolent gods. All those who dost not follow this rule are sacrilegious heathens! Famine and pestilence shalt rain down upon thee!!

;)