Buying a pair of used plastic boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with buying used is that you usually don't have a choice of sizes. One place you will have a choice, is a place that rents things, then sells them AT THE END OF THE YEAR. Yep, now isn't the greatest time to be looking for used things. Places I know that sell used winter gear, do it in the spring.

Does the Montreal MEC have a gear-swap? You probably missed that. You need luck, but you can get REALLY good deals if it's anything like the Ottawa one.

I'd probably tell the clerk what your plans are, so they aren't wasting time on you while making paying customers wait.

Kevin Rooney said:
Also - maybe the Mountaineer in Keene, NY? Have seen lots of good deals there, but don't know if they have consignment.
I've seen some Koflachs at the Mountaineer store 2 years ago but I wanted Scarpas so I ended up buying mine (new) at one La Cordee sale. Good luck !

I've seen used ones at the Mountaineer in Keene Valley, NY.

I bought mine from REI using my dividend last year but I also got a pair of Scarpa leather mountaineering boots from STP earlier this year. Used them on Hood and Shasta and they were great for summer mtn... Probably would still stick to the plastic boots for winter stuff, but at about 2lbs less than the Koflachs, they were sooooooo nice.

Jay

Jay H said:
I've seen used ones at the Mountaineer in Keene Valley, NY.
The Mountaineer sells their rental equipment. Best choice is at the end of the season.

Oh yeah.... That store in Placid, which has a consignment section. Across the street and down the block from EMS. Very good prices if they have what you need.

Kevin Rooney said:
The Outdoor Gear Exchange in Burlington is a gold mine, I frequent it regularly when I'm in town (I used to live in Burlington) - you name it they got it, and they do a lot of clearance pricing on new things as well - most of it HIGH END (read: not usually in the realm of affordability!)

Latest posts