California: Mammoth Lakes, Yosemite, Bristlecones, more

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
California: Mammoth Lakes, Yosemite, Bristlecones, more

We spent a week in California with a group of friends in mid July.
Drove to Mammoth Lakes which is just south of Yosemite.
The hikes in sequence are:
Devil's Postpile/Minaret Falls/Sotcher Lake
Gaylor Lakes, Great Sierra Mine, Gaylor Peak, Mono Lake
Bristlecone Forest( 2 separate groves @ 10,000' and 11,000')
Cathedral Lake, Giant Sequoias
Bodie Gold town, now a California Historic site.
We hiked and saw a lot - just a fabulous trip. First time Barbara has been to the western mountains - I had as much enjoyment watching her reaction to the sights as I did experiencing them myself. This was my second trip to Yosemite, Sequoias and Bristlecones. Of everything we did, the Bristlecones were the best. 30 mile drive above the treeline - and wandering among trees that are 3,000 to 4,500 years old. As close to a religious experience you can have in the mountains. With the Sierras as background scenery across the Owens Valley.

Took me a while to sort through the photos, and here's a representative sample. For best viewing F11 or full screen:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sred...1sRgCPKZmeylu7DYLA&invite=CLnqrcMG&feat=email

Good times indeed. Although of limited experience, I have yet to find a region that has such variety for gawking at and hiking through. One additional hike that a few of us did was the Rush Creek Trail which takes you up to some gorgeous lakes and waterfalls from the June Lake Loop.
And the wildflowers did not disappoint. Even the Bodie ghost town cemetery was adorned with bouquets at every grave.

Very nice. I have spent much time in that area (including Bodie) and am madly in love with all things along 395.
It's beautiful scenery. I now live about a mile off 395.

Last edited:
395 is one of the most beautiful drives in the US. In my haste to get some pictures put up I forgot to thank Kevin in my OP for the PMs with hike, eating and driving directions.
Thanks, Kevin.

Wow, what great photo's!!! :D

Amazing scenery! Another area added to my bucket list......:rolleyes:

Loved seeing your pictures. Took me back to what I saw two years ago. We missed Bodie, though as it seemed too hot to be out in the sun for that length of time when we were there. The Devils Postpiles amazed us. We also enjoyed Movie Road at the base of Whitney after our climb. The Manzinar internment camp was interesting/sad. Mono Lake is wierd! Yosemite, more than fabulous. Thanks for the flashbacks and look into what you enjoyed.