Camp Ice Rider strap-on crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doodles

Reaction score
Would like to hear any good or bad comments on the Camp Ice Rider 12 pnt. crampons. Durability, straps, ease of putting on, boot adaptability.

Thanks.

I have two pairs. Very reliable crampons, have never come off on me, never loostened once the straps were cinched down. They are tough as nails, but you pay for that with weight. At 2 lbs a pair, they are a bit hefty.

They are suitable for some ice climbing too if you are into that sort of thing.

-percious

I like mine too, have had them for six years with no complaints. Yes they are a bit heavy but mine have taken a beating. I practiced putting them on in my backyard and can put them on pretty quickly now. I find it usually helps to walk a little and then adjust the straps for comfort and tightness.

Used my new Camp Ice Rider's this past weekend.

When I first received them I was afraid they were a little to much crampon, but after hiking thru a lot of ice, I was very pleased with their performance. They certainly look like they will hold up very well. Found them to be a little aggresive when crossing bare rocks, but just need to be aware of the situation. I found that they were easy to put on and the strap system stayed tight. They hold true on the ice and snow.

Thanks for the replies.

Hi -
Can I ask what type of boots are you guys wearing with these crampons?
Also, are you guys using these for technical ice climbing or general mountaineering?
Thanks.

I am using them for general mountaineering. The boot I am using is the Columbia Bugabootoo. The crampons fit with no slop and the straps cinch up and stay tight. With this particular boot I could not ask for a better fit.

I have seen some boot / crampon combinations that really do not look like they belong together.

As others have recomended on this site, it is a good idea to take your boots that you plan on using with the crampons to the retailer to check for fit to the boot before your purchase.

Good luck.

George