Canadian Gear and stores?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbcbd

Reaction score
A friend of mine is coming from Switzerland to Canada (Toronto, Banff, others).
She's kind of on a low budget and wants to stay away from the top internationally known brands, so she is looking for a sleeping bag that is made by an American or Canadian brand that she can get while she's there.

I was wondering if anyone here knew of any Canadian outdoor stores or Canadian brand sleeping bags that I could recommend to her?

Thanks folks,
Doug

My experience with MEC, is that their stuff is very good quality, and they put function before fashion. Their stuff is not top of the line, state of the art, but it is very good, and a fantastic deal for the price. There is a store in Toronto.

Awesome, thanks for the responses. This looks like exactly what she's looking for! :)

Second MEC, they also have some very good bicycle touring products that don't seem to make it down here. I have some "waterproof" booties made by Serratus which I've never seen anywhere but at MEC, excellent stuff and I know Serratus makes other things like panniers and accessories.

Jay

I agree, MEC is great. Good prices and well made stuff. They are a co-op, but it is only $5 for a lifetime membership. They have a lot of things that you just can't seem to find anywhere else, and most of the stuff can be shipped to the US, but they let you know what can't.

chinooktrail said:
.... and most of the stuff can be shipped to the US, but they let you know what can't.
Yeah, and what can't usually has GREAT prices. The manufacturer has exclusive distribution deals in the U.S.

Jay H said:
...They also have some very good bicycle touring products that don't seem to make it down here...
That's where most of my bike gear comes from. They have lots of winter cycling clothes and gear. They don't seel bikes, though. Only accessories.

Another vote for MEC. They have a store in Toronto and Calgary, they'd probably have more selection of mountaineering gear in Calgary (2 hours from Banff).

I live 1.4km from MEC in Ottawa and have a ton of their stuff. Their service is top notch. Probably most comparable to EMS. I believe another gear store in Toronto would be Europe Bound. Like most places, I think all the gear stores in Toronto are clustered around each other. (King Street?)

If she happens to make it to the nations Capital, across the street from MEC is The Expedition Shoppe, Bushtukah, and Trailhead.

Hope she enjoys the Great White North.

-Shayne

Last edited: