canister stoves at 10-11k ft & <25 deg F

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab2020

Reaction score
Clarksville, MD Avatar: Babo, SE Arete, Summit
anyone ever use canisters above 10000 feet and below 25 degrees?

We are heading to Cottonwood lakes/Mount Langley Oct2,3 and first night is at 10000 second is at 11000 and the night time temps are expected to be between 20 and 30 and could be as low as 10.

I think Isopropane should be okay at that alitude, but have only used them at lower altitudes in the cold. How reliable are canisters at that altitude in the cold (without the extra heating involved)? Its not like its everest base camp or denali... I might just take the old whisperlite along just in case...

Justin

I've used 'em a couple times up to 12,000 feet and mid-20s F, and they've been OK. Actually, if you're looking to vaporize something in colder temps, high altitude actually helps. The engineers on this board can probably tell you more exactly. The bigger issue is how much heat they'll put out - boiling water takes a bit longer and when it boils, it isn't quite as hot. Like cold weather down low, though, putting the canister in a sleeping bag overnight and/or putting it in a pan of water as you cook can help keep the fuel liquid.

Enjoy.
Weatherman

blacklab2020 said:
I think Isopropane should be okay at that alitude
Do you mean Isobutane? (There is no such thing as Isopropane, although the term has been used to refer to a [iso]butane-propane mixture.)

I've never used a canister stove under those conditions, so I have no direct experience. However there is some nice info at http://zenstoves.net/Canister.htm and http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Mixtures.htm.

It looks like butane would be a lost cause. Isobutane might work with some effort but could be marginal. A propane-isobutane mix could work, particularly if you have a liquid feed* stove. (The liquid feed will prevent the propane from boiling off first and will keep the canister warmer. (Evaporation within the canister cools it.) )

* If the canister is upright, it is a gas feed stove. If the canister is upside down, it is a liquid feed.

Doug

Last edited:
msr isopros are upright butane propane mixtures... i have had success in tents in the past in the whites with them...

I think i am going to take both stoves... try the propane/butane mixture so I know for myself (with a cold canister) how much of a change in efficacy is seen because of the vapor pressure difference at altitude compared to in the whites.

I have used the pan of water before, sleeping bags, pocket in bibs...and these stoves are tedious work... Just curious if just this minimal change in altitude makes a huge difference... Ill report back later with the results...

blacklab2020 said:
msr isopros are upright butane propane mixtures... i have had success in tents in the past in the whites with them...

I think i am going to take both stoves... try the propane/butane mixture so I know for myself (with a cold canister) how much of a change in efficacy is seen because of the vapor pressure difference at altitude compared to in the whites.

I have used the pan of water before, sleeping bags, pocket in bibs...and these stoves are tedious work... Just curious if just this minimal change in altitude makes a huge difference... Ill report back later with the results...
~10K ft will reduce pressure to ~2/3 of sea level. If you check out the graphs of fuel vapor pressure vs temp in my references you may be able to estimate how well the stoves will do.

Doug

I've used a SnowPeak canister at 7800 ft. at about 20F and it worked fine. Also, a Coleman Xtreme cartridge should work as well, if not better-it is a liquid feed style propane/butane mix cartridge that lays on its side. I've used one of those too under similar conditions.

I take an Optimus Nova and a Primus Micron in winter. I like having a backup and also use the Micron on short day hikes away from my tent to make hot tea.

Canisters Worked Well! 10000 ft 27 degrees

I am following up on my original post, after our excursion out west. The canisters (MSR Isopro 8oz) work surprisingly well at 10000 ft and 27 degrees without any warming required. The flow was constant. The stove was in use numerous times for a total of 20 minutes.