Car camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
A friend at work has some friends coming in april and wants to car camp. He asked me becasue he thinks I know everything about the adirondacks.:rolleyes: I day hike and have slept in my car a couple times but never camped along the road. looking for a place about 2-3 hours drive from utica/rome area so lake placid area out of question. I was thinking round pond by noonmark. Also, is there a place to camp by the adams/allen parking lot? He is looking for a 4-5 hour climb like adams or noonmark. Can anyone think of something in the southern/eastern ADK's ( I dont think there is anything towards tupper lake, ampersand may be to far).

Are you talking about car camping as in sleeping in your car? Or car camping as in sleeping near the road?

As for the Allen/Adams trailhead, there are no designated sites that I know of. There are a few campsites on Henderson Lake, but the lake would have to be frozen to access them (unless you want a nice bushwhack).

There are lots of places to camp off of dirt roads. I don't know if I would call Tupper Lake southern or even eastern ADKs, but around there you have Coreys Rd. with some campsites off of the road.

There are also some small campsites all along route 73.

If you're just talking about sleeping in your car, you have a lot more options. Many of them are illegal, though :)

Last edited:
I assume you're talking about "free" car camping...

However, Lake Harris is a NY State campground that isn't far from Upper Works, not free and not open now. There is also a private campground just west of Lake Harris that also closes in the winter...

Jay

Also on Rt. 73 where the N Fork Boquette crosses (either side of the stream, south side of road). Start of hunters path to Dix Range/ E. Dix slide.

If you're looking for an excellent combination of remoteness and car access in a camping trip, you really can't do any better than the Moose River Plains. There's about 140 car camping sites located along 20+ miles of dirt roads connecting Indian Lake with Old Forge in the Moose River Plains area. Camping sites range from simple cleared areas to sites including picnic tables and outhouses, some of which are handicap accessible. Best part of all is that the camping there is free of charge. You do, however, need to obtain a permit from the ranger if you plan on staying for more than 3 nights.

If you're looking for an excellent combination of remoteness and car access in a camping trip, you really can't do any better than the Moose River Plains.

Moose River Plains Road will not be open in April.

Blue Mtn.

Yes, camp along the old loop road off Rt. 30 with sites along Lake Durant near the campground entrance and then climb Blue Mountain. If there is still snow or mud, the road may be tough to drive on. Just take Route 28 up from old Forge to Blue Mountain Lake, drive toward Indian Lake and and find that old road just before the campground entrance. Closer than anything else mentioned.