Cardigan

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamples

Reaction score
Anyone have any info on how Mt Cardigan conditions are at the moment? Planning on this for this weekend. Thinking up Holt/Cathedral Forest/Clark/Mowglis/Manning loop. I'm thinking it should be fine right about now! May is here finally!

Trail conditions at http://www.vftt.org/trail/nh/5837.html

From the sounds of Roadtripper's report, you'll probably be ok, but given how short the trip is - some traction devices may be worth carrying, even if unused.

I've always loved Cardigan, and it sounds like you've got a good loop planned for the area.

Best wishes for a great trip!

I filed trail conditions for Cardigan trip I took weeknd of 4/22. You can forget traction devices all together. I took Holt Trail and only observed some miner snow patches in the rocks out of the sun. Portions or Holt are mossy and slippery maybe stailicers will work in wet moss? Hummm. ;) Trails are pretty good condition. Some blowdown areas, but NH Chapter Trail Crew going up to do trailwork there May 13 weekend and we'll get what we can out of there. Have a good trip!

Awesome! Good stuff! Thanks for the info! Will be my first time doing Cardigan so I'm pretty excited to check it out.

Jazzbo said:
I filed trail conditions for Cardigan trip I took weeknd of 4/22. You can forget traction devices all together. I took Holt Trail and only observed some miner snow patches in the rocks out of the sun. Portions or Holt are mossy and slippery maybe stailicers will work in wet moss? Hummm. ;) Trails are pretty good condition. Some blowdown areas, but NH Chapter Trail Crew going up to do trailwork there May 13 weekend and we'll get what we can out of there. Have a good trip!

Yes - Stabilicers work on just about anything...I have used them on snow, ice, wet rocks, under water rocks etc...

Last Pitch to summit on Holt Trail is challanging

Read up on Holt Trail in AMC guide to southern NH if that's the route you plan to take to the summit. I didn't think the lower part was bad, but the last pitch to the summit is very exposed and requires some unusual hand holds to climb the crack. It's pretty long so if you get cold feet part way up there's no turning back. Don't recommend doing it with big pack. If you're OK with it make sure your hiking partners are up for it. There is no way to bushwack around the last pitch.

No need for any sort of traction at this point. There is only about 75 feet of total ice to manuever over/around left as of last weekend.

If you can, try to visit Welton Falls if you have the chance if you have never been. It's something like 2.4 miles round trip from the lodge (Manning Trail) or 1.2 miles round trip from Welton Falls Rd.

Lastly, I'd bring some bug spray. There were lots buzzing around our head near the lodge last weekend.

Yeah so we ended up doing Cardigan this morning. Up Holt all the way, across Mowglis to Firescrew and down Manning. 5.2 miles I believe that loop is and we started at 8:30AM and was back at the lodge by 12 exactly. Not bad at all! Was supposed to turn off Holt to go Cathedral Forest and Clark, but at the junction we made the decision to at least try Holt and not get scared off. Very glad we made that decision now.

Holt was easy until like the last .4 to the top, then it gets those vertical ledges. Mostly dry today so not much of a problem. Had to help my 69 year old father-in-law with a couple of those tricky hand-hold sections and help pull him up, but I was able to fly right up. I enjoyed that Holt section. Challenging to negotiate but very fun!

Only saw a very little bit of ice overall through all those trails. Great conditions really! Not many hikers out there though. The lodge was packed and no clue what was going on there but didn't seem like anyone was actually hiking! We saw only one family up top Caridgan where they had come from the west sides West Ridge Trail, and then only one other group going up Manning when we were making our way down. That was it!!! A bunch of people down around the lodge with green shirts on. Some kind of meeting? Who knows! Thanks everyone for their tips earlier in the week. Fun mountain and cool Holt trail!