Carnaval de Quebec! Bonhomme sur la neige!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayakDan

Reaction score
It's one of the biggest winter festivals in the world,and there's plenty of fun in the snow. Snow tubing,snow rafting,doglsedding,ice skating,snowshoe races,ice canoe racing across the river,and riding the tobogan run at 60MPH on the ice track .
There's all the "urban hiking" you could want,with plenty of vertical (the old city is on top of a hill)
And there's nothing like a shot of warm"Caribou" from a street vendor on a winter day!
This will be our fifth year,and we wouldn't miss it.
Go visit our friendly neighbors to the north and say"Bonjour!"Carnaval de Quebec

Yes ,I saw them practicing for the river crossing race when we were up there for New Years.
Pretty gutsy stuff ...you could see them scrambling on the ice half in and out of the canoe as needed. Two different crews out there.
Quite the current on the St Lawrence they drift way down from where they launch.
Haven't made it to the festival yet but hope to in the future.

cantdog said:
C'est Neil a droite? N'est-ce pas?
Non. Left to right, Jean-René, Timmus, Ketsia, Fannie, Colin. (tout(e)s les québecois(e)

What is "Caribou?"
ooooolhhh!!! I'll see if I can bring you some next time I see you. Not sure if it's only available in Quebec, quebec or in Quebecin general. Have to look next time in the SAQ

Last edited:
BTW, there is PLENTY of snow right now in Quebec City, a LOT more than in Montreal, Lake Placid, Burlington or Gorham. Snow lovers, bring your skis :D

Okay, I dug a little deeper into the "Caribou" thing as it's become apparent all is either not known or being revealed on the subject. I enjoy a little something with my tea on a winter camp-out, Caribou sounds better than most and it seems a proper Salute ! to our northern neighbors;

"Caribou's blend of ingredients is a reflection of Canada's history. Port, the 'Englishman's wine' since the time of William III, and brandy, preferably Cognac, represent Britain and France, Canada's two founding European nations (also known as the Two Solitudes). These feuding national flavours are softened, sweetened and united by a dollop of maple syrup, the contribution of Canada's First Nations, without whom the British and French would never have penetrated past the banks of the St Lawrence. Other ingredients may be added according to taste and ethnic background.
Recipe
Recipe? Who needs a recipe? Port, brandy and maple syrup (or some sort of sugar). Isn't that enough? The coureurs de bois didn't have a recipe. They had imagination. Look in the cabinet; see what you've got. Make your own Caribou and impress your friends. Or visit Quebec City during Carnaval and enjoy Caribou like the Quebecois enjoy it.

Okay, if you really need a recipe

The following is a recipe that has been developed and refined over a considerable number of weeks by an experienced panel of one.
Stir gently together in some sort of drinking vessel:

16 drams Port (Ruby or Tawny, depending on the depths of one's taste and pocket book)

12 drams Brandy (French or Greek, depending on the depths of one's taste, pocket book and national affiliation)

Six drams Canada No. 1 Maple Syrup3 (no substitutions please.)

Consume.
Go dance with whatever in your vicinity most resembles the Michelin Man.

caribou

I'm impressed. With Chip, KayakDan, and the SAQ. KD found out that you can look to see how many bottles of what are in each SAQ. (I just go down a few blocks, and look at the shelves). Unfortunately, Caribou does not seem to exist in my area of Québec.

Chip, Let me give you my definition.

Caribou is something one drinks at the Quebec Carnival, when one is younger than a given age. One does not know or care what it is composed of.

I suspect that the bottles of Caribou purchased at the SAQ, do not have the same ingredients as your recipe.

And Chip.... I'm sure I heard about the hamburger on the highway recently... Lets see.... was it last week.... or maybe it was 28 years ago.

Last edited:
Pete_Hickey said:
And Chip.... I'm sure I heard about the hamburger on the highway recently... Lets see.... was it last week.... or maybe it was 28 years ago.

Have you also heard about the Big light in sky slated to appear in the East ?

I know hamburger, I've worked with hamburger, and that, sir, was no hamburger. :D

[
That's what happens when one drinks too much Caribou.[/QUOTE]

You can drink TOO MUCH Caribou :confused: :confused:

It's only too much if you can no longer stand up and blow on the big red plastic horn.