Carters and Moriah, the Long Way...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
The Croo on Moriah:
Terra, TimC, Una_dogger

The Route: Wild River Tr, Black Angel Tr, Carter Dome Tr, Carter Moriah Tr, Kendusdig Tr, Moriah Brook Tr, Highwater Tr, Wild River Tr.

Miles: about 25

Gain: alot

A loosely defined plan was hatched saturday during the Dog Hike. Vague ideas about the map, mileage thought to be about 20, peaks on the lists and redlining bucket list all aligned with a great weather forecast and willing participants.

Stopped into see Steve Smith to buy a new map. Nice to be redlining and have a need for a map. Steve was gracious enough, as always, to offer beta and even look up the USGS Guaging Data for the Wild River.

After some independant review, well, lets just say I stopped counting at 24 miles <according to Map Adventures> and there was still a bit of trail left to go, albeit it was FLAT and that's always the caveat when selling these hikes. :)

Fortunately, TimC was actually excited after closer map review, so we committed to this adventure. An enduro hike, and extreme day hike, if you will. Its been sometime since I've been able to do one, so I was very happy, indeed.

Started out from Wild River Campground parking area about 8:15 am, Sunday, Oct 10. 10/10/10.

Wild River Crossing was swift but plenty of big rocks available within a reasonable hop. Water deep in between, though.

Many Rivers To Cross:
ry%3D480

Lower Black Angel Trail is gorgeous, long stretches of golden leaved America Beach. Clear mountain streams. Some blowdown as the trail approaches the shoulder of Mount Hight. Well graded along countour line as it crossed Mt Hight, drop off to south dizzying. Some rugged areas, including a piece of triangular talus that resembles the tip of a large slide that can be seen from Carter Dome. Last quarter mile very green and wild. Very nice trail.

ry%3D480

Carter Dome -- great views back to route across Hight. Really impressed with location of Black Angel Trail, and overall condition is very good considering usage and Wilderness Area location.

We made quick work of the Carters. Washington was snow capped. Some ice here and there on the Carter Moriah Trail. North Carter, in particular, upon the descent, was icy along the slabs and ledges. Saw a couple groups backpacking our loop in reverse direction. Got plenty of beta on Moriah Br Tr.

Boot sucking Mud (alt) A great way to break in new trail runners:
ry%3D480

Mt Washington, snowcapped:
ry%3D480

Moriah Brook Trail Jct was the "decision point". It was 3:57 pm and there was no doubt that we were heading to Moriah. Ledges dry and free of ice. General discussion of future bushwack. Felt like I was getting a bit fatiqued on final climb, but it passed quickly. Noticed very peculiar circular cloud formations in southeastern sky that resembled upside down waves. Joked that a spaceship might burst out from them.

Last light:
ry%3D480

Moriah Brook Jct, down we go. About 6 miles to left, and about an hour of light. Amazing birch and alder glades. Knee deep mud. Fantastic wall of cliffs on Moriah. We wonder if they see climbers? Very interesting landcape of high altitude bog, alder and birch glades dotted with gigantic house sized boulders. Lots of water coming down from all around. Neat cascades.

We put headlamps on after it was impossible to see. A planet rose in the lower east horizon, and became out "patron star" showing us the way. A couple times we lost the trail, but only briefly. Several crossings of the Moriah Brook seem to coincide with unique water features, but in the dark, all we saw were forbodding large flumes and boulders and heard the sound of rushing water all around.

The final crossing was wide and swift and required a dog carry. One more mile through open woods and we reached the Highwater Tr. The map came out again as these woods seem to be signed the opposite of what one would expect.

Final crossing was over long and high suspension bridge, erie feeling to be swinging high up above the water. Reached the car at just under 12.5 hr, about a half hour longer than expected.

Our star was right over the car. :)

Croo on Moriah:
ry%3D480

Great day in the woods and an adventurous way to tag some peaks and explore lesser travelled country.

Photos and dog carry courtesy of TimC.

Last edited:
The Black Angel trail is on my list, as is the Shelburne Moriah area. Someday I will get over to that side. Thanks for sharing this. It sounds like an insane day hike. I'd prob spread it into 3 days. haha

Got over to that area last year and loved it....looks a little wetter than when I did it....

Great trip and nice mileage!! Way to go!!:D