Catskill 100 - first completers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to recall that there was an old timer that completed the Catskill 100 highest about 20 years ago. I think his name was Bill Rhemes (sp?)

John H Swanson said:
I seem to recall that there was an old timer that completed the Catskill 100 highest about 20 years ago. I think his name was Bill Rhemes (sp?)
That would be Bill Riemus. He was briefly mentioned on page 5 of the NY/NJ trail Conference newsletter, J/F 2002 (pdf). In 2002 he was living at a nursing home in Margaretville. The address is in the newsletter. I do not know if he is still living there.

I was on a couple of 3500 Club hikes with Bill back in the 1970s. He was a prolific hiker, and he seemed to know just about everything that could be known about the Catskill peaks.

I am fairly certain that Bill did climb all of the 98 peaks, 3000' and over. He may have had a companion hiker who accompanied him. I seem to remember that the completion was mentioned in the peripatetic porcupine section of the Catskill 3500 Club newsletter (late 1970s or very early 1980s). There may have been a few other hikers that have completed the Catskill 98 peak list. And of course the 4 NE 770 completers have also climbed the 98.

The list of 98 peaks was first published in a 1975 Catskill guidebook published by Walking News. It was later reprinted in all three editions of the ADK Catskill Trails guidebook.

John,

I was careful to stipulate the Catskill 100.

Bill Reimvis and Frieidel Schunk completed the Walking News list of 98 Catskill 3kers as did 4 others that I am aware of. When Mark compiled the Catskill 100 highest list (actually 102 counting ties), it was my hope that the 4 others would get over here and complete the remaining 6 peaks. I did my best to reach all 4 last year, yourself included. Was really hoping the still 'whacking pioneers of the 98 list would complete and be among the first to do them all. Still hope you, Dennis, Eric and Sue can get over here and hike the remaining peaks and we can get your names on the completers banner. Lots of us would love to be there with you guys.

Alan

I remember speaking with Sue many years ago. I thought she said that Bill did all the 3000 footers and went on the do the 100 highest. I think this was part of the motivation why Sue went on to climb the two additional peaks she believed comprised the 100 highest. I know for sure she has done these two as she went on to do one of them after we had already climbed several peaks that day. I opted out. I'm not sure if Bill or Sue went on to do the other three that tie the 100th peak elevation. I was not counting contours below 3000 so I was not aware of "the 4 needed" until more recently. While I would guess that Sue has not done all 4, I know Bill was a enthusiastic or voracious hiker and therefore I only brought it up as a point to confirm.

Last edited: