Catskill Camping + Lodging options

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkyfreddy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I'm hoping this will turn into a very long and informative thread! I plan on hitting the Catskills quite a bit this year and doing most of the 35's again with a friend along with other peaks. I have a lot of questions.....

1. looking for public or private campgrounds that would be open the week before Easter

2. wondering what everyone's favorite places to stay in the Catskills are.... these could be hostels, hotels, motels, campgrounds, etc.

3. has anyone stayed at the Phoenicia hotel? How did you like it?

4. how is the campground in Phoenicia? is it open? does anyone have the phone #?

5. do you have any favorite backcountry campsite info that you would care to share with me? Please feel free to e-mail me or PM me if you're not comfortable posting this in public!

Thanks for all of your help in advance, it will be most appreciated! Fred :D

VFTT Gathering 7.0 was in the Catskills. The Hide-A-Way campground was very muddy. :D

I know, not very helpful, but isn't that some great mud?

Last edited:
Uh ... oops? Fixed it.

BTW - the Hide-A-Way was actually pretty accomodating for our large group size, having that field space and other spaces for us. They are in Phoenicia on Woodland Valley Road. I believe TJ did the beta for us on that? I seem to recall a miscommunication about the per-person price, but otherwise no major incidents, even with everyone meeting Carmel for the first time!

Last edited:
I really like the tensites around Denning; very peaceful with the sounds of the water running; and using the Yellow Blazed Pheonicia East Branch Trail -> Curtis Orsmbee -> Slide Mtn route to Slide and back. There is also a nice lean too on the way up to Table Mntn from Denning.

There is also a large field on Peekamoose Rd south of the trailhead that is open for camping.

As for primitive sites, if you take the Diamond Notch Trail up about a half mile, there is a bushwack trail that follows the east side of the stream with a few primitive sites along it. Its easy to find :)

NY DEC campgrounds dont open til may (north/south lake being the earliest in early may), 2 private campgrounds in Phoenicia, Black Bear and Sleepy Hollow. Black bear is kind of beat up, not very private, but on the Esopus and within walking distance to downtown Phoenicia. Sleepy Hollow is on Rt 28 West and up til now was missing like 80% of it's letter on it's roadside sign. That has since been remedied but I've never stayed there. Popular with fishermen on the Esopus from what I hear.

You should already know about sundown, I've camped there with you already Fred!

The only hotel I've ever stayed in the catskills was the Scribner Hollow Lodge up around Tannersville, the night after my Devil's Path dayhike when we all crashed there...

Jay

Jay H said:
You should already know about sundown, I've camped there with you already Fred! .....Jay

Hi Jay, I know about sundown, haven't forgotten, but wanted to get a lot of the info down on the same page/thread. I've got some new info already from both boards. Thanks for the tips everyone and please keep them coming!

Someone from the Catskill 3500 list just informed me that the Phoenicia Hotel has closed, They recommended the Cobblestone Motel in Phoenicia instead.... I know the PH was a bit of a dive but it had a very interesting history and I thought we might stay a night, maybe have a seance and get the ghost of Dutch Shultz to tell us where he hid his gold. :D

funkyfreddy said:
I know the PH was a bit of a dive but it had a very interesting history and I thought we might stay a night, maybe have a seance and get the ghost of Dutch Shultz to tell us where he hid his gold. :D
Now that it's closed... seems like just the right time and place!! :eek:

MichaelJ - thanks for the memories! I revisited the album :)

bubba said:
Now that it's closed... seems like just the right time and place!! :eek:

I heard by e-mail today that it might be for sale. If had the cash I might buy it and create a funky night club/ hiker hostel, maybe call it Dutch's Smelly Feet Lounge, the Ghost House or whatever. :)

There's always Lynch's Pot-o-Gold in Acra, way up by Windham High Peak. I thought I should mention that since the lady was very kind to let us sleep for free during my TBS hike for charity when we did the Escarpment trail. Other than the 2am Karaoke, it was somewhat a nice place. Nicer than the Black Bear campground in Phoenicia and nicer looking than the Hide-a-Way from Gathering 7.0.

...and I met Carmel before that gathering at Darren's house during a VfTT splinter Kayak fling which unfortunately, Darren couldn't make. :(

Jay