Catskill summits -snow or ice? Colors?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkyfreddy

Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning on climbing Panther Mt. with some of the usual suspects on Sunday and I heard there was snow on the peaks.... Has anyone here climbed Slide, Panther, or Giants ledge this past week? We will be bushwacking and I'm wondering how much snow might be left and how high up we might encounter it.

I would also love to know what the colors are looking like with all of the moisture the NE has been having....... Thanks, Fred :)

I haven't been hiking in the Catskills in the last week. I have moved onto the Gunks which are currently at or near peak foliage around Mohonk. The higher elevations of the Gunks around Millbrook Mt appear to be going a bit past peak.

I hiked Mohonk on Thursday, 10/27 - from Skytop I could see the snow on the Catskill High Peaks. It looked like they got a good snowfall, at least 8-10 inches on Slide and the western Devil's Path, with lesser amounts on Peekamoose/Table and the eastern Devil's Path. Some of that will probably be thawing and refreezing into ice by Sunday. There should still be some color on the lower Catskill elevations, below 2000'.

There is more snow in the northern cats than to the south. About 8" at Big Hlw. P.A. yesterday when I took a drive up and looked. Snow makes a nice contrast with the remaining leaves. Be prepared for branches and trees down.Last night was in the 20's, so its not melting to fast. ( From rts 23 and 28 it looks heaviest above 3000'.) There is still some color at lower els.

mudhook51 said:
There is more snow in the northern cats than to the south. About 8" at Big Hlw. P.A. yesterday when I took a drive up and looked. Snow makes a nice contrast with the remaining leaves. Be prepared for branches and trees down.Last night was in the 20's, so its not melting to fast. ( From rts 23 and 28 it looks heaviest above 3000'.) There is still some color at lower els.

On Thursday AM, snow was still present down to 1500'. The trees up high are covered with snow/ice. Some still have leaves. It's pretty cool looking.

Well, as of Oct 30th it seems the snow appears in regularity around 2500'. They did get ice at some elevations as witness on the trail to Giant Ledge from Woodland Valley. There is actually some deep drifts off-trail starting around 3000'. I mean talking 8-10 inches!!! Trailed peaks are mostly slush/water/packed snow/ice depending on the use, the temp. Crampons would be in order more than snowshoes... Think spring hiking! :)

Jay

hermit said:
This is what the top of Twin looked like 10-29. It was beautiful. Some snow and a bit of ice up top.

Ralph,
Saw your name in the register but you signed in and out before us on Saturday. We climbed Plattekill. There was a couple of inches of snow up there which is just over 3k but nothing substantial.
Sorry to take this off topic but maybe you Catskill folks can answer me a question. There is a trail up Plattekill? Not shown on either of the maps I have for this area but as we whacked up there we hit a trail that took us to within a few hundred feet of the summit. It seemed to lead to an old quarry maybe? Hard to tell covered in snow but also had an ok view of Kaaterskill. Anyone have any info on this mountain? Also saw at least two distinct sets of bear tracks in the snow. Probably from the day before as they had been frozen overnight.

Yes, there is a unmarked trail (old road, actually) that leads from basically across the viewpoint and quarry on the trail to Echo Lake/Overlook from say Platte Clove road. It's marked on the catskill maps with a star. Anyway, this old road basically leads you to an abandoned bluestone quarry further up towards the summit. You'll see a pile of bluestone that is just sitting there but was obviously chiseled into shape. And you'll see what's left of a couple of structures (wind block) and some piles of metal of what used to be there. The road is fairly obvious though there are some spots with a few blowdowns and pickers.

Now the summit is not far from there further up. It's a pretty nice somehat flat summit though with some good views looking north I believe.

Jay

I was up on Slide Saturday and it was a winter wonderland! Probably a foot of snow.Looked and felt like January with wind and temp around 29, and snow piled up on every tree. It wasn't wet or slushy at all. Was also cool looking down toward the valleys with their fall colors in contrast with the snow capped peaks. Great day for photos!

If you were on Slide Sat. Jay and I were looking at you from Red Hill firetower. Slide looked intense because of the contrast between its remote snowy peak and its surroundings, which were bright oranges, reds, greens, and yellows. Slide was white and gray, while the sky framed the mountain with a bright blue. Sat. and Sun. were quite the days for views in the Catskills.